Which C200K?

I am considering purchasing a C200K W203 and am wondering which engine I should pick, the newer 1.8K or the older 1998K. Has anyone any advice on which is the better?

It depends what your budget is.
The range used to be:
C180 - 2.0 litre uncharged - 129bhp C200K - 2.0 litre supercharged - 163bhp C230K -2.2 litre supercharged - 192bhp
After 2002, it was modified:
C180K 1.8 litre supercharged 143bhp C200K 1.8 litre supercharged 163bhp C230K 1.8 litre supercharged 192bhp
If you can afford it I would go for the post 2002 engines, they are *much* more refined and you won't be able to tell them apart from a V6.
Also, the C180K provides more than adequate performance because it has lots of torque - 220Nm from 2500rpm to 4500rpm. The C200K has about 10% more torque which is hardly noticeable, and in the UK, new it costs an extra 1500, which is almost enough to pay for satellite navigation, which I would far rather have.
Additionally, the newer engines are more economical.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:35:52 +0100, "Oliver Keating"

...until you hit around 30k miles, and all of a sudden it starts running rough and you need a new cylinder head cos the valve guides weren't put in straight during manufacture. Then you will be able to tell it apart from a V6.
--

Lettuce spray for whirled peas...

Reply to usenet[at]miknik[dot]co[dot]uk
Right-hand drive C-Class are made in East London, South Africa. (See UK Sunday Times, 28 Sep 03, Driving section.)
Not sure if that's relevant to quality issues, but there it is.
DAS --
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:32:51 +0100, "Dori Schmetterling"

Some are, but not all of them. 8th digit of chassis number is R if it was built in SA (203xxx-2R-xxxxxx would be an SA car)