why do mercedes diesel last forever?

That's probably the taxi I was in, though not with the original engine.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Few Diesel passenger cars are manufactured or imported into the United States because they fail to meet State and Federal emission requirements. Where I live, a new Diesel passenger car isn't even an option. The last Mercedes I purchased was a gasoline powered E320. If you think that gasoline engine will cost as little to maintain as a Diesel engine, I guess you will believe anything. The cost of ignition parts and fuel injection parts is far greater on the gasoline engine and these parts need replacement more often than the simple fuel system on a Diesel. But comparing NYC taxi cabs to the cars that non taxi drivers use doesn't seem relevant to me. If an engine is never turned off, it will last longer no matter how poorly it's manufactured.

Reply to
VCopelan

uuuummmmm...why do mercedes diesels last forever again?

What is this ranting that has nothing to do with the original post.

anil bharucha

1985 300D Turbo 205K miles (And yes the engine will still be banging away when other things around it has either corroded or fallen apart)

Reply to
A. Bharucha

Re: why do mercedes diesel last forever? Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Mon, Nov 17, 2003, 6:05pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (A.=A0Bharucha) uuuummmmm...why do mercedes diesels last forever again? What is this ranting that has nothing to do with the original post. anil bharucha

1985 300D Turbo 205K miles (And yes the engine will still be banging away when other things around it has either corroded or fallen apart) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx MINES BIGGER THAN YOURS;=3D) 82 300SD 251,000 miles

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Again, sounds like the taxi I was in. The cabbie told me that a relative of his drove it at night; it seemed to be running 24 h.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Diesel failed in America well before these requirements. GM manufactured V6 and V8 , imported 4 cyl. diesels. VW sells only a fraction of diesel of what they used to 15 years ago. Mercedes, Audi and BMW withdrew their diesel versions. They are not popular because of cheap oil. Here in America is the kingdom of expensive SUV; most of them don't have a diesel option, except the ones who share components with full-size pick-ups and vans.

I never disputed that diesel is the way to go for high-mileage builders in Europe. As long that diesel option can be paid back within 3 years, 4 at max. Problem is that it is rarely the case here; diesel packages are very expensive on full-size pick-ups and vans.

The last Mercedes I

You won't like what I'll say. Of course, diesels are cheaper to run in Europe. But not on repairs because good gas engines (not all) have no problems to get to 250000-300000 miles with no significant $$$ in ignition parts and fuel injection. And I can tell you that diesels have injectors that fail too. And expensive fuel pumps. And turbo-chargers. And problems with very cold weathers (les true now). In my relatives, there were two mediocre cars, a Ford Mustang GT 1986 that was sold after 17 years and an AMC Spirit 1979 that was scrapped in an accident in 1998. Original engines and never heard of important repairs in ignition/fuel delivery system.

Let me ask you a question. If saving money was SO important, why did you buy a Mercedes at the first place? I am with you that '70-mid '80s M-B were often outstanding in durability and would often outlast the competition of the time (Volvo were good too) by factors. In the last 15 years, a lot have changed. Like the Jaguar PDG said; "These days, you can not sell only on quality because everybody has got it." In fact, Mercedes has dropped in quality to the point of being on the 10 worst cars in reliability here (C-Class and E-Class) - Consumer Report - the America biggest organization that survey cars. I am aware that Mercedes are still very well regarded in Europe for reliability as well as Audi. Not here (under average). I bought my Audi 100Q based on good reports I saw in European publications. Actually I can tell you that the not-so-good reports from local publications revealed themselves to be more accurate. I love Mercedes designs, but low operating costs would never come to my mind as a reason to purchase them.

I have met a lot of people who were interested in VW TDi because they "wanted to save money". Problem is that these cars (now manufactured in Brasil or Mexico for America) are typically 6-7000$CAD more than their Toyota-Honda gas competition. At the rate of 40-50000km a year, this is only 800$ saved in fuel yearly. Do the math.

Fleets might be another beast, but even at that, there is no diesel in cars here. If it would interesting for these industries, they would get them, be assured.

But comparing NYC taxi cabs to the cars that

No, no, no, no. Actually it was with diesels that it was recommended to let it run as possible, particularly in cold weathers. With increasing gas price, you can bet that the Ford are shut off when not needed.

Reply to
Saintor

Since diesel engines operate at a lower rpm than most gasoline engines isn't that one reason for them to last longer? Low rpm's make any angine last longer so diesel have a big advantage over gasoline. Because of the low down torque caracter of ALL diesel engines it can runs higher gearing amd operates at a lower rpm than a gasoline engine with the same Hp.

Reply to
Joachim Østberg

I've owned far more gasoline powered vehicles than diesel powered vehicles. I have yet to own a gasoline powered vehicle which would make it to 250,000 much less 300,000 miles and that was not for lack of trying.

Diesel fuel system repairs an expensive problem? Bosch deisel injectors can be rebuilt with Bosch parts for $19 per injector. You can get Bosch rebuild injectors for $35 each. Bosch diesel injector pumps seldom fail but they can be rebuilt for $500 at a Bosch authorized repair station.

Why to I drive Mercedes? Because the cost to operate the cars is less than any other car I have ever owned. Most every OEM part is available outside the dealer. Unlike Japanese car makers, Mercedes does not have an ownership interest in their parts manufacturers. But I would agree that the new Mercedes are built pretty poorly.

Cold weather problems with diesel? Not for the last 23 years or so. Mercedes uses a 80 amp glow plug system in their post 1979 cars. Mine starts right up at -30F at 10,000 feet which is just about the most severe service any engine is likely to encounter. By the way, how many miles did your relatives put on their gasoline engines? I've owned a couple of AMC cars and their engines never achieved high mileage. My last one shattered it's cast pistons at

180,000 miles.
Reply to
VCopelan

Is the Telegraph considered a quality newspaper? I read their website a lot.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Well you must do something wrong. Because there are tens of thousands of them outside. If Mercedes is not good enough, try something else. :o) I have seen them in most brands.

Honestly, they were both around 150-180000 miles. While the Mustang was pampered, the AMC was neglected, with only one oil change a year (if it wasn't forgotten). If you are looking for 250000 miles + cars with original gas engines. It is easy and common in North America.

Reply to
Saintor

Oh yes I must be doing something wrong or I have an alternative explaination. Your a idiot.

Reply to
VCopelan

So true -- a friend owns an 87 Honda Prelude (carbureted, last year of that engine, about 160k miles) and one night I took off up a hill and ended up reaching about 115mph in my 87 300D before I slowed and let him catch up... he finally came along, proud his "baby" with $3000 in work done to it since he bought it had reached 100mph, at which point he backed off because he didn't think it was safe (too many bad noises). We looked over at his car and realized it was pinging like crazy and was overheating. I ended up towing him 6 miles home... with my 175k Merc.

He's since replaced the water pump and radiator, without any sucess. The thing drinks water and oil like crazy and he's about to give up and buy a

190D.

He and I are convinced. Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Well your perpetual state of denial speaks by itself and your credibility is zilch.

explaination.

Reply to
Saintor

Your perpetual denial combined with your limited knowledge leave your credibility lower than anyone I have ever seen post on this newsgroup. You display remarkable arrogance for someone who is so destitute of knowledge. Perhaps you are smoking crack?

Reply to
VCopelan

I don't smoke crack, but you have obviously inhaled too much diesel vapors. Funny part is that you did not counter with competence any argument I brought here. Your sole position is "it can't be true".

Reply to
Saintor

It seems to me that the way to clinch the argument either way is to find some statistics about what percentage of diesels exceed, say, 250 000 miles and what percentage of petrol engines do the same.

A complicating factor might be that the modern, more complicated turbo-charged diesel engines might be less longer-lasting than the old ones, which tend to figure in today's records of "mine did 500 000 miles". Then we have the issue of region: USA vs western Europe, with their different diesel profiles.

I suspect this is info hard to come by but maybe somebody can think of another valid way of demonstrating which type of engine has, on average, greater longevity.

Maybe a car manufacturer has comparative stats for his own model range. That would be quite a valid comparison.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I don't inhale diesel exhaust fumes but you're welcome to suck on my exhaust pipe it might clear your mind. My position is that most diesels seem to last longer than most gasoline engines. My company has one of the largest fleets of both gasoline and diesel vehicles in the State of California. The maintainence schedules on all vehicles is carefully followed. They even conduct scheduled analysis of engine oil on the diesels. But when you talk to any of the shop foreman about engine life, they will all tell you the same thing. They have many diesel engines with well over 300,000 miles on them which are still in service and some of the gasoline engines will make it to 200,000 but seldom more. Most all the gasoline powered vehicles with over 200,000 miles on them have rebuilt engines in them. In addition, most of the major oil refiners market compression ignition motor oils which are rated for one million miles between motor rebuilds. Unusual for engines which you continue to claim don't last as long as gasoline engines.

You seem to have found some website which shows very high mileage gasoline engines. But I question the statistical significance of a website were vehicle owners report the life of their own engines. I don't believe it is an accurate representation of the relative service life of diesel and gasoline engines. I know you like to talk about NYC taxi fleets. Are you by chance a NYC taxi driver?

Reply to
VCopelan

Reply to
gator_mech
1) Saab engines are petrol/gasoline. No reason why such an engine couldn't last a long time.

2) The plural of anecdote is not data (with thanks to a poster who once had this in the signature).

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I saw an ad for a euro car and it stated the car had a duel fuel system petrol/gas. What does this mean? I thought they were the same thing.

Reply to
TETROS