mercedes 603 diesel engine

i have just bought a 300d gd g wagon fitted with a 603 non turbo diesel engine.i have just fitted new cam followers and new injectors but the engine now smokes heavily grey'white smoke with a strong diesel knock.it was ok when the job was first done and only started to smoke after about

10 miles can anyone help thanks.i am a qualified mechanic but at a dead end with this.HELP.
Reply to
kpb70

Two variables: Valves and injectors.

Smoke is unburnt fuel so you need to determine why its not combusting completely.

Given ten miles use before the problem began I'd suspect the valve adjustment. A TURBO engine at 70 degrees F. has its intakes set to .004 INCH and its exhaust to .014 INCH. Though your engine is not a turbo it will have similar specs.

If you're confident the valve adjustment is OK, I'd move on to the injectors - one of them is dribbling - stuck open and the smoke is from fuel burning in the exhaust manifold. That would also explain the knocking.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

The "bad" injector can be found by cracking open one high pressure line at a time (at the IP) while the engine idles - create an intentional leak so a cylinder doesn't fire. I've had mixed success with this method but it sure beats removing all the injectors!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

The 60x engines have hydraulic elements. You do NOT adjust them.

Reply to
Karl