Should I / Shouldn't I ??? cam question

Hello faithful followers of Minis :)

Does anyone know if an 850 cam would work in a 998 engine?

I have been told by a so-called A series expert that if I put an 850 cam into a 998 block with a 1300 head it would push the BHP to around the 85 BHP mark.

The 850 cam has a longer dwell and higher lift so should work in theory but has anybody done this and does it actually work?

If it does i'm gonna do it !!!!!

At the moment the engine in me 91 Studio 2 is standard apart from a stage one kit which i'm quite happy with but Ive got (just lying around) a 1300 head...

Any help or comments on the subject would be more than appreciated.

TIA Matt

Reply to
MiNiFrEeK :)

Well, I have never looked at the 850 cam, but I can see a couple of potential gotchas. If you go for the 1300 head you MAY need to pocket the block to clear the valves. You can normally get away with it using the standard cam, but with a higher lift cam the valves may hit the block. (check with a dry fit). If you do have to pocket the block you would either need to deck the block or skim the head to bring the compression ratio back up.

Also the 850 cam will be A series, so pretty sure to be peg drive oil pump, so a change of pump will be required (A+ uses a slot drive) However I would hope you would change that anyway.

just a few thoughts...

HTh Drew.

Reply to
""drew"

Yep I know about the pocketing of the block, sorry I forgot to mention in post.

Is my block/engine not already A+ with it being a '91 Mini? or is it still an A series.

Bit unsure of the engine typ ie A or A+.

TIA Matt

Reply to
MiNiFrEeK :)

seeing the cam-data on:

doubt it very much that this is the way to 85 BHP (everyone wouldhave done that, had it been so ;-) ) your '91 is A+ any 850 would be A

HTH, Theo van den Bogaard

Reply to
t.a.j.m.vdnbogaard

I was always told that the best standard fit cam for a small bore 998-1098 engine was the 997 Cooper Cam. Had one in an MG1100 engined Mini back in the late 70s and it used to fly, much faster than my mate's 1275 Midget.

Reply to
TurboJo

It would be great if I could get hold of a Cooper cam (im a bit penniless, kids etc....) but thought I might just put the 1300 head onto my block and see what would happen)

Anybody know how to pocket the block or know of a good head shop in NW england around Wigan area?

The I have is from a 1300 MG Metro so should go straght on with the correct bolt pattern etc.

TIA Matt

Reply to
MiNiFrEeK :)

How about Minisport in Padiham? It's only about 40 miles from Wigan.

You may not need to pocket the block.

Test fit it without a gasket and zero tappet clearance as this will give a safety margin turn ove the engine by hand any problems/contact the block will need pocketing. You can use a liitle plasticine or bluetack etc on the areas that may make contact and check the depth after turning the engine over. If needed I would be tempted to get my Dremel out.

Articles on subject

If your Mini is a 91 won't it be unleaded? Is the MG head unleaded as I thought they were all leaded.

Reply to
TurboJo

Dyah know Turbo I never thought of trying the bluetac route, bloody good idea :0)

Dunno I think the head is unleaded but I really dunno, dont suppose theres an easy way of finding out if it is or not, anyhoo I dont think I'll worry too much about it coz if I run it for a while on unleaded it might eventually break and I'll have to get a new one anyway so think I'll give it a try, nothing much to lose I suppose? coz Ive justr been given two spare metro engines (wahoooooooo) not to be confused with the other half frowning tho....... LOL

Reply to
MiNiFrEeK :)