Anyone got a car transporter trailer?

Been offered a car transporter trailer for a price almost too good to refuse, planning on doing a few track days or hillclimbs so it should come in useful. Obviously if I'm only using it for this it's going to be doing nothing 99% of the time and was curious what others do with their trailer for the remaining time, does it just sit doing nothing or are there any worthwhile ways to make money from it, such as hiring it out?

Reply to
Jack

My trailer fits my car. Virtually nothing normal size would fit on there - apart from some something mini or Caterham sized. Anyone I know with a car that size already has their own trailer - most if not all better than mine.

Apart from that, who would you trust with your trailer, unless you knew them very very well indeed ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

you can hire it out at silly bugger amounts 50 quid a pop isnt uncommon, or you could do scrap like me :)

Reply to
Rob

As Bob says I'm not sure hiring it out would be the best idea. When you say scrap, do you mean start a scrap yard? Don't have room for that.

Reply to
Jack

Nah, I think he means offer to buy scrapper for cash, or even charge to=20 pick them up. Then weigh them in for more cash at the local scrappy..

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Walk Away

Reply to
Elder

You can hire it out, expect to pay a lot of insurance, expect people to miss-treat  it and expect to get a phone call to say it's upside down in the ditch at the side of the M4.

You can move cars for people, again expect to pay a lot in insurance if you want to do it properly, and then you may need to purchased a suitable tow vehicle.

Mine stays securely locked onto the drive, no one will ever borrow it, mate of mine lent his trailer and Discovery, trailer got a tank slapper on a down hill section of the A303, he lost the lot, 3rd part only insurance.

Reply to
Geoff

Bingo. A car on a trailer is a heavy load indeed and it really needs to be loaded correctly with the weight distribution spot on. The tow car needs to be stable as well. Add an inexperienced driver to this and a tank slapper can end in disaster.

Having experienced trailer snake when I loaded the car onto it wrongly, I can testify that there is no finer laxative.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle