Finally got the vRS :))))

Yippee, does anyone know the dealer approved, within warranty mods allowed on this car. I'll check out the skoda websites I've been told about later, just thought I'd ask here first. I'll just be plodding around in it for the next month or so, what's the score with running in these days. Do I need to take it steady all the time for the first 500 or so? Very impressed with the car so far, solid, well made, everything a skoda shouldn't be ;-)

oh also is it better to use 98 or 95 for running in, does it make any difference (to running in) ?

thanks

Reply to
Johnny

Cool

I should be getting my car today fingers crossed, I gotta go up to Manchester to pick it up, post some pics of yours :)

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Will do, it's just the standard vRS (for now) in metallic black. Going to be a swine to keep clean but I'm not too fussy about it being less than spotless.

Reply to
Johnny

Nevermind clean. Black shows *every* tiny scratch and swirl mark. Get it waxed with something sharpish. And then get yourself a bottle of G10 and Black Top for rubbing out the swirls.

Reply to
Doki

I've got some G10 - what recommendations for wax?

Reply to
Johnny

Anyhthing they can't detect...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Meguairs, as thick as you can get it on without it clouding up :D.

Reply to
Doki

Jabba's Stage 2 kit will have to wait then :D

Reply to
Johnny

I'll give you a link doing the rounds at the moment of a real decnet show where they modded an Audi 1.8T to 360bhp, its pretty mad, 45mins worth called tuner Transformation, I'm going to upload it to my webspace

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Vary your revs, sometimes high for short periods just don't cane it, and mostly low. Don't labour your engine just to keep the revs low, it will break in easier if you give it a decent range of operating conditions.

If you are anything like me, thats only a couple of weeks anyway.

BTW, you know the VAG engines take a good few K miles to totally loosen up and make good power.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Its uploading as we speak, its 245mb and is worth the watch, they basiclly turn a standard 1.8T quattro A4 into a 360bhp monster, using new turbo etc,

19" rims, all for some spoilt kid, email me for link if you want it, or anyone else wants to download it, its going to take a few hours to upload,

snipped-for-privacy@fsplanes.net

Sorry its not Chet compatible :) broadband only

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Bah :(

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

Cheers m8 - that's pretty much what i've been doing. mostly 3rd, 4th gear occasionally 5th but most of my driving is short hop urban stuff. still getting over 32+mpg but that'll change in time :D

Reply to
Johnny

Thanks for pointing this motor out, i'm really chuffed with it. Boot space is immense and is being put to good use. I smiled inside the other day - one of mates was telling me the guy with the scooby for 15K isn't thrilled with it. He sold a civic typeR for it and apparently he's wishing he hadn't.

Reply to
Johnny

Who makes G10 and where from??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I think i'd pop a couple of tanks of 98 in it for the first ~1000miles, the main thing when running in is to drive it fairly normally- dont pussy foot around.

From the show room give it a good 5-10miles to fully warm up and then during your drive home give it several WOT bursts upto a rev limit of around

3500rpm through the lower gears, most important to bed the rings against the bores.

I'd suggest a rev limit of around 3500rpm for the first 500 miles,, then increasing this 200rpm every 100miles making sure you hit this fairly often every day, whether it be lightist load or full load, variance is the key.

By 2000miles I'd be happy to have bursts of accelerration towards the red line, but dont expect the engine to be fully loosened up until somewhere north of 5000miles and more. VAG units tend to be very tight and dont give their best until 20k or so.

Make sure you check the oil and water regually, and I'd leave the factory oil until 10-12k or so to promote just a smidge of wear, then have 5-6k changes thereafter.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Why would you do that? - if the car is to be driven on 95 on a day to day basis, running it in on 98 will only make performance worse when you switch to 95 due to the 'self learning' process of the ECU.

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

If you think of it as a Golf, for decent Polo money, and more room than the golf, you are halfway there. Then you get to drive it, and realise just how good it is.

I went for a little round town test drive in one about 18months ago, the engine was quieter than the heater fan in the Favorit I was driving at the time.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Seconded ?

Reply to
Nom

Next question then, is it better to teach it to use 98 from the start?

Reply to
Johnny