MMMMM nice MR2

shame the TRD kit is so damn pricey! well exspensive but looks damn sweet!

Vamp

What is it with these different coloured bonnets (or should I say hoods). They make the car look like either a taxi, or someone's got a new bonnet from the scrapyard and not had it sprayed yet.

Or is it just me, missing something again?!

Dan

Reply to
-=Dan=- ©

prolly carbon is it not?

Reply to
Rob

correct carbon fibre you can just make out the texture on the bonnet and the headlamp covers look carbon too, very cool but pointless if you ask me, why would an MR2 need less weight at the front?

Reply to
Vamp

The same reason it needs less weight all round the Mk2 was surprisingly over weight. Besides less weight up front means there's a greater proportion over the rear driven wheels so better for dragging.

Reply to
Depresion

i guess, on track i'd of thought it would be worse as you'd lose a bit of front end grip wouldn't you?

Reply to
Vamp

It may not be much lighter than the stock one, but having a carbon bonnet looks f'kin nice, but only really looks good on dark coloured cars. I have a carbon bonnet on my car, but its only about 2kg lighter than the stock steel jobbie.

Reply to
Steve

i might get a carbon engine lid for my MR2 one day as you save a shit load of weight as the MR2 turbo lid is heavier than the N/A as they made it out of plastic but used heavy bars to give it strength! duh :)

can shed 5-10kg's with carbon i think

Reply to
Vamp

I always seen weight saving as something you either do full on, or not at all. I.e. if you're carbon bonneting, also carpets and everything need to go, although i'd always keep some ICE :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Carbon Fibre. Looks the bomb up close.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

My mate with the GT4 had a carbon nose cone on his car. Whole thing weighed about 200 grams and you could pick it up with your pinky. It kinda made up for the 40kg of amps and subwoofers he was lugging around. He t-boned someone and the thing shattered into a million pieces.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

A guy I know who's well into Lancia Y10s (he built the Yntegrale) showed me his racing Y10. He basically replaced every panel with aluminium. He asked me to pass him the door. I braced myself for lifting it up, you know what it's like when you expect something to be heavy and it isn't!

I could literally pick it up with my little finger, it was that light. The whole car was done like this (the Y10 is pretty light to begin with) and he had fitted a 180bhp turbo 1.3 engine "what you see here is half fiat, half cosworth". Which he blew up (unsurprisingly).

Reply to
fishman

lol..

"what you see here is half unreliable and half dangerous"

Reply to
Mason

It would do, 200g is far too light for that sort of moulding, I'd expect to to weigh about a kilo or so. It probably wasn't vacuum bagged and autoclaved either, just hand laid up which is always tat.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I seriously doubt it was anywhere near 200g in weight. I made up a carbon fibre dashboard for my Westfield and it was just a very thin flat sheet about 1m wide with several large holes cut into it and it weighed 300g.

Reply to
Homer

Heres another pic, and you can clearly see the twill carbon weave;

And another close up;
See them all -
Sorry, but Im a carbon nut, just cant find everything I want for my car in carbon though :(

Steve