More OOMPH! from my Ford Ka

Hi, I would just like a *little* more kick out of my bog standard 1.3 Ka, does anyone have any recommendations? (leaving myself wide open there... :)

I was wondering if there was "chip kit", or some-such?

many thanks

Dave D

Reply to
David Dawkins

Best bang for buck is nitrous, cheap to install and gives brilliant results, excellent for traffic light GP and overtaking.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

There is a chip, there's an article on it on Dervman's site

It's not a chip as such, the ecu is reprogrammed via the diagnostics port, so you can turn it on and off when you want. I'd go with nitrous if I were trying to get more power from my Ka though, AFAIK the chip gives a pretty small increase in horsepower, whereas nitrous could give you an extra 20 horses when you need it.

Reply to
Doki

Wow!!!!! Eighty horsepower.

Strange the things these people who own these quaint little underpowered shopping trolleys get excited by. :)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

80 horses is 33% more than 60 though, so I'd imagine it'd be pretty noticable and handy for overtaking. Of course, Diesel drivers dream about having a whole horsepower, and being able to go above 2000 revs :).
Reply to
Doki

Mine manages fine up to just under 5000 revs, though around town I can make smooth progress not going much above 1500 (I said smooth, not quick). :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Erm, well, heh yes you can improve matters - but for the most part on the Endura-E, you need to start spending _serious_ money before you end up with a respectable hike in continious power. Figure on four grand.

For that amount of money, you can get the Puma engine conversion... and have change... probably needed for the insurance...

And of course, you can probably get a Sportka for less, too...

Reply to
DervMan

Why would you want to go over 2000 rpm when you have a big fat 220lb/ft of torque at 1900rpm. I want a CVT that will keep my engine at 1900rpm all the time.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Time to get mine chipped, 180 ponies are not enough any more...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

underpowered

1900rpm, cool. My 314ft/lb doesn't arrive until 3600rpm, closely followed by the 307bhp at 5650rpm ;-)
Reply to
**-**

Both of my lb/ft's come in at 3,000rpm :)

Reply to
Dan405

Well - I'll never have 307bhp, that's for sure. However a Jabba remap promises around 185bhp and 300-320lb/ft of torque, still at a crank speed just above tickover. Economy is currently around 39mpg, I wonder what the impact would be on that.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Thanks everyone. The nitrous thing made me laugh, I just can't imagine telling my insurance company about that... they'd probably reach down the phone and strangle me. Or steal my wallet.

Dave D

Reply to
David Dawkins

Change companies then. Nitrous is the only thing that will give you a sizeable, (as)constant(as you want) power increase for reasonable money.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Remove engine/gearbox/seats/wheels ... should then weigh the same as my citroen ax, but then you'd have 0bhp and i'd have 128bhp. No seriously ... if you can find/afford a lower ratio gearbox (i'm not familier with ka's) this might provide the extra uuumph you want. Bearing in mind most lower models never hit maximum revs in top gear, you wouldn't have problems with running out of revs before power with a lower ratio box. Example: My citroen axgt used to do 120mph at 6000rpm. Fitting a 'box from its near cousin (205xs) changed that to 7000rpm at 120mph. I don't go to 120mph often, so not a problem .... obviously it hauls off the line better.....this being far more useful than a high top speed.

(I then modified the engine after i did the gearbox).

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Most cars would be seriously wasted by that amount of horsepower on a motorbike!!!

Someone else who doesn't understand power to weight ratios.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

And i bet the sportka is substantially heavier than its "roofed" sister. === Slower.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

. My 314ft/lb doesn't arrive until 3600rpm, closely followed by

Whats it hauling??? Tin foil citroen. or Lead shed bmw.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Yes i suppose the honda goldwing motorbike is heavier than my citroen ax car.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Hmmm Nice. But not my cup of pee. Hardly a wolf in sheeps clothing??

Reply to
FEo2 Welder