More window shopping on Pistonheads

I know it's only a shonky old E34, but I like this:

Bit above budget though. And no, he's not fibbing regarding the top speed.

That one probably *will* be big enough to replace a Golf estate:

Still above budget though.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

"Timo Geusch" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's not exactly... subtle... is it?

Reply to
Adrian

I'm not a big fan of Alpina stripes, but that's mostly because where I grew up in Germany they were mostly attached to 316s that were in danger of having their engine fall out.

The stripes come off, though...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Very underimpressed with the size of the boot on the one I had a ride in a couple of weeks ago.

Aren't the 12's trouble for spare parts?

Of the two I prefer the first.

Reply to
Clive George

Both of those have been for sale forever (9 months +). I've seen them loads of times on my scurries through the classifieds.

Reply to
Pete M

Doesn't surprise me. There's another Bi-Turbo for sale on Pistonheads (the red one) and I reckon that's been up for at least a year.

I'm tempted to make a stupid offer but I'd be afraid it'll get accepted.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I've E34s before and they're big enough for my purposes. Agreed, they aren't super roomy but bit enough for 3-4 people and a decent amount of luggage.

But like an XJ, you do wonder where all that space went.

Not really, and the engine is pretty robust. It's usually the expensive ancilliaries that tend to go wrong.

So do I, actually.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The owner of the E34 is given as a Darren George.

Coincidentally, that is the name if the proprietor of a company called GTS Tuning who make the GTS Panther kit car. He's absolutely infamous for taking the money and being a bit difficult to get a hold of to deliver the bits.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I can understand why maybe you'd like something with a bit more poke than the Golf.

I'm just not sure given the other cars you have in the stable, why it needs to be an expensive to buy and run behemoth.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

See the bit above there ^^^ regarding both being way above budget? I've capped that and am sticking to the cap.

Which obviously means I need to find a cheaper 750i :-). Just kidding. It looks like I'm drawing the line at earlier XJRs.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

'Bit above budget' doesn't really give the impression they're 'way above budget', tbh. :-P

...which is?

Surely a big estate (which seemed to be the original idea and given how impractical the other two likely to be left in the fleet are), would make far more sense? :-S

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Well, they're just a little over budget to the tune of a few grand...

Below 3k, although I might find another couple of hundred for something really nice. Hard limit is 3.5k.

If I can find one that I like. I'm keeping an eye out for BMWs mostly, I think the 156 would be a little too small, don't think a Mercedes is what I want at the moment and most other stuff doesn't really pique my interest so far.

Reply to
Timo on tour

How about something like this:

'll never want for space again.
?
?
?

Reply to
frag

E34 Tourer then really, isn't it... or an E39, if you can find anything worth having for that.

Both are lovely to drive IME, at least when they're in reasonable shape.

I can see how, luggage wise at least, an XJR or lardy BMW saloon is going to be better than one of those. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

They'd all be interesting if the DVLA hadn't managed to 'misplace' my

7.5ton entitlement when I changed my German license to a UK one.
Reply to
Timo on tour

That one would appeal to a six-year-old. And me.

Reply to
Clive George

It's the "anything worth having for that" that's mainly the problem. You can get 530d tourings (the one I'd ideally want) for that sort of money but they're very leggy.

The E34 to have (24V 525i) can be had for a lot less than that but the trouble is finding one that hasn't been dodging the scrap yard for years.

Yup.

Well, yes. I'm trying to figure out if the estate is a necessity or a nice to have. If it's the latter, the XJR is actually looking quite reasonable.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Before you go and do the XJR thing, (you've probably done this already but..) it's worth getting onto some of the Merkin Jag forums for info on what to check out. A friend who lives near to TOG has had several of these. Apparently the ones to go for are the 6cyl rather than the V8. The V8s have many 'issues'. The diffs on the V8s are not the strongest in the world either and the electronically actuated shockers are £EEEEK too. If you do go this route, let me know and i'll give you my mates contact details. There's not much he doesn't know first hand about these motors.

Cheer,s JB

Reply to
JB

I'll have a look at that - I've got the PPC buyers guide for the V8, but not the 6.

He hasn't just sold a black one on fleabay, has he? I was watching that one but it went before I could make up my mind.

The V8s are pretty much out of budget anyway, plus IMHO a Jaguar XJ should have a six or a twelve under the bonnet.

That would be a good idea. I guess I'll find one to look at over the weekend and if I like it, I'll be in touch.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Fire Engine FTW!!!!!!!!

Fraser