green mould on window rubbers?

any one know of a good way of getting rid of the mould that grows on the edge of window rubbers? i do not want to use bleech as it may start to deteriate the rubbers. i cleaned them a couple of monthes ago useing a toothbrush with washing upliquid . but it has now come back. :(

Reply to
bongo

There are proprietary products that clean and claim to prevent reoccurence for several months. I haven't got one to hand but I know Kleeneze do one that has worked for us in the past.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Have only just realised this thread was in Car maintenance and not DIY... :-{ but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, apart from the fact that rain may reduce it's effectiveness of course.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

thanks andy i will ask for it at the shop later. very quick reply that was. posted the message- updated and your reply was there. :)

Reply to
bongo

Surely, this is just a part of car-cleaning? Get out your toothbrush and washing-up liquid again! I get green mould all over my Transit - particularly during the winter. I've always assumed that it's because it spends much of its time parked (almost) under a tree. Does your car live near trees?

Reply to
DB.

no m8 no trees near by. its just a bit of mould that seems to grow just along the top edge of the bottom rubbers on the windows that open. i havnt seen any mold an where else on the car.

i dont know if there is anything that will remove it that will last longer than a couple of weeks or so.

Reply to
bongo

Don't use anything with detergent in it; the mould seems to enjoy it!

If it's anything like mould in a house, the key is to get rid of every bit of it in one go. The tiniest bit left will spread in no time.

If it bothers you too much, try one of the liquids available from DIY stores. Try it on an unseen bit of the car first!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I presume you mean more of the green moss type stuff, rather than actual mould. If so we are signing from the same hymn sheet. I often get this on my cars as they don't get used much. Much better than using a toothbrush is a soft hand brush (type used with brush and dustpan). A quick brush, making sure the bristles get into the crevice between window and rubber seal and it all flicks out in a few seconds. Just try to use brush lightly so it flicks out, as too much pressure crushes the green moss and it gets a bit slimy and more difficult to remove. Do it with window up else it will all flick inside car.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Clean a car?... What by hand?... Nargh, far too much like real work!!

:-)

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

bucket ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, no, no. Not by hand. Use a bucket.

Reply to
Adrian

would`nt a bucket scratch the paint :)

Reply to
bongo

bongo (- snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk_) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Dunno. Shall we find out? You grab his legs.

Reply to
Adrian

Clean it off the best you can and then give the rubbers a good soaking in meths witha paint brush or some such...

Works on flags too.

Vinegar also works, but not as well IMX.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Mould? You're lucky. I've got moss growing on mine.

Reply to
Art Deco

You like the scratched paintwork look? Personally I'd rather a dirty car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I could care less. I'm not one of your shiny car, sunday grass cutting, tidy garden types.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Latest news. Cars are home to rare species of moss and lichens. From now on all cars found with these rare plants growing on them are to be registered as site of Special Scientific Interest and free from excise and fuel duty.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

we wish :)