new car for the wife

ok guys after a trip into various dealerships over the last week or two we have built up a shortlist

any thoughts on anything we may not have considered feel free to fire them up

considerations are

it must be a 3 door(her preference) sportyesque without the killer performance(my preference as i'm paying the insurance :( and maximum budget is 14 grand oh yeah and it must be split new or ex demo etc etc

options so far ar

Mini Cooper Mini convertible Civic Type S new shape astra when it arrives

206 CC tad out of budget unless its ex demo 307 CC as above

any thoughts

Reply to
SkyTech

Personally, I say the Cooper hardtop. Cant be arsed to give reasons tho :)

Reply to
Max Hamlet

we were up at morrisons looking at the coopers today

12 and a half new for the hard top with the chilli pack an extra 450 quid :)

tempting but she aint sure it would be "fun"

told her she can have my red top nova and i'll get a new motor instead lol

funnily enough that she didnt agree to

Reply to
SkyTech

Its gonna be the most fun out of any of them, by a distance. Although the

206 CC is very girly car, so she probly likes it :)
Reply to
DanTXD

everyones got one

everyone is going to trade up to this from the last mini they own (because it's deemed to be "cool" or some shit)

leading the pack at the moment

it's a horrible looking beast, but maybe it drives better

they leak

they leak even more

you want a girly car for the other half? but with a little poke? go jap

Reply to
dojj

Fiat Barchetta.

Lovely little 2 door roadster at a bargain price.

Should be able to get a brand new one for £10995.

Reply to
SteveH

saw a rerun of 5th gear that fabia rs diesel seems to show a clean pair of heels to most things in the real world doesn't it :)

Reply to
dojj

Pug 206 Quicksilver? All the bits of the GTi except the 137brake and thusly the grp 14 insurance.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

prolly m8

another option was a mx3/mx5

iirc the mx5 sport is circa 160 bhp and has a lsd and a 6speeder box yes?????

presume well over budget tho

Reply to
SkyTech

NOOOOOOOOOOo doji

i want sporty nippy performance

not poke :)

remember she's had her liscence a year and i'm picking up the insurance tab here lol

oh yeah she's curently tooling around in a punto sporting so really anything on that list is an improvement :)

although have to say on the few occasions i've blagged it to nip to tesco its bloody fun to drive :)

Reply to
SkyTech

They are, yes. But you soon get used to it. It's actually quite nice pulling into a parking space and getting out on the kerb side.

You do, however, make a fool of yourself by getting in the wrong door at the supermarket, though ;-)

147 is good. Just avoid the Selespeed.

For a woman, you'd get away with a 1.6JTS, which are dirt cheap.

Reply to
SteveH

This from the man who slagged off my LHD, and therefore vastly superior to RHD Mk2 Golf...

Reply to
Pete M

Ahhh, yes, but in the case of the Golf, they were available in RHD, which made a left hooker worth slightly less than bugger all....

My experience of LHD has been in cars where there's no alternative. In which case, I'd accept it and adapt, as I did in the 124 Spider.

Oh, you bastard, you've got me wanting another Spider now.

Reply to
SteveH

In news:1giqldq.qtjn5z19l3v3N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

but the thing is, RHD Golfs have always been s**te to drive compared to LHD ones.. then again, we've had nothing but trouble with the Mk5 Golfs in work lately, one grenaded its engine, and there's been a myriad of management system faults with 'em.. I prefer my old points and leads Mk2 Golf to this heavy s**te. Then again, the Leon I drove has me mega tempted to buy one, yet the Golfs are utterly s**te... go figure...

Heh.

Reply to
Pete M

Out of all the (albeit limited range of) cars I have hooned up the public highway, an R reg Punto Sporting I had the loan of once has to have brought one of the biggest grins to my face as a result.

5th gear on it was a bit short for long range Dual Carriageway/motorway cruising though.

I'd get a MINI out of your choice.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Richard Kilpatrick - who I haven't seen on here for a while - had some experience with Peugeot cabrios. 406 Coupes and 306 convertibles are dire as they are built in Italy from french largely french bits apparently. Google for threads discussing some boy off to buy a 406 coupe. Cheater2k or something.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Douglas Payne decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Richard Kilpatrick bought a Beetle cabriolet though.. so his opinion isn't to be trusted ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

cheers for the thought steve are the barchettas not left hooker only

even considering going to have a looky at some alfas :) dare i say it lol147 :)

Reply to
SkyTech

LOL, and it was a 1.6 IIRC. (c:

He has probably owned about as many cars as you though, perhaps more. Some pretty natty stuff went through his stable in the time I read his postings on here, usually had about 4 or 5 bizarremobiles on the go at once plus a company cabrio, hence 306 and beetle cabriolets.

He seems to be missing/choses to ignore preconceptions about a lot of brands. That was quite cool IMHO.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Avoid the 206CC. Apart from the fact that it's *very* cramped in the back, which really shouldn't be an issue with a car like that (Vauxhall had the right idea with the new Tigra taking out the back seats), they're just s**te. My mate's bosses wife had one and had no end of problems with it, loads of different things from interiors falling apart (well, to be expected, it's French) to electrics going wrong and god knows what else that in the end the dealer couldn't properly fix much of.

Maybe the new Tigra? Supposed to be pretty good.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan