Short trip ok?

I have a 85.5 Porsche 944 that i'm going to need to use for a short roadtrip Friday. I'll be doing about 80 miles there and than another 80 for the return trip. A total of probably 2-3 hours of a driving. I usually just run my 944 around town, nothing out of the city. Should this be ok? Anything I should do or check before I leave? Car rans just fine right now, has 122k.

Reply to
Prelip Porsche
160 miles is no stress at all. Just make sure that all your fluids are right, belts are in good shape, and...of course...tires and pressures are on spec. As long as you've changed your timing belt, oil and fuel filters regularly, it should just eat up the miles...

Enjoy the trip...

Reply to
Weekend Guru

well, early last year I took a "short " trip, averaging speed limit plus a few for 3100 miles over a 4.5 day period coast to coast, and the 944 just hummed right along.

check the fluids, get an oil and filter change, tank up and have at it....

if you live in a major urban area , spooling off 80 miles one way is a common occurance, no big deal

DC

Prelip Porsche wrote:

Reply to
D Corley

If all you usually do is run around town, I'd say a decent few hours driving will be good for it.

Reply to
Chris B

If that short a trip concerns you, you may consider having it looked at by a shop to see if there are any underlying issues you should look out for. Make sure your routine maintenace is current and you should be fine. These cars were designed to run hard for much longer than 200 miles.

Jerry S.

87 944 NA/Auto
Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Yeah, I bet it will enjoy stretching its legs!

I sometimes go for weeks without driving my '86 944. But I drove it to Yosemite (about 400 miles round trip) a couple of months ago, and then a 160-mile roundtrip a couple of weeks later. It was fine. It was happy. ;-)

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Reply to
Brian Moore

Yeah, I tell you this, city driving is hell on all cars. A good shake out on the highway is great.

Got a friend with a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 178,000 miles 75% on the highway. I'll buy it any day over another driven in 75% in the city.

Reply to
Garrak