Turbocharging and Intercooling

Ordinarily I'd fire up Google, but this machine has "issues" with WWW access, but email and Usenet works fine, so here goes.

Can anybody run through the wonders of intercooling in terms of higher cooling capacities, lower intake airs, more power and anything else it might influence - all that funky gubbins?

Like this 9-3 TiD, say, it has space for a bigger intercooler, and I'm sure I could hole the current one "sorry Charlie but we need a new one, may as well get an uprated one, eh?" type thing? I seem to remember Elkparts having at least one larger intercooler and, hey, it you're going to up the power, safer to increase intercooling..?

Reply to
DervMan

No. Not anybody. But I'd bet that some people know a fair bit.

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Anybody. Somebody. That person. Whatever. Type thing. Anybody. Somebody. Everybody. Nobody.

Reply to
DervMan

Only really of any benefit if you can increase the fuelling.

Reply to
Conor

I reckon it'd be a bit annoying if nobody knew!

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Since nobody doesn't know, somebody knows, but not anybody and probably not everybody, right?

Reply to
DervMan

And we can and have... :)

Reply to
DervMan

He could fit anti-lag.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Improve the efficiency of the intercooler and you will improve the power too. Less heat soak, cooler charge, so the intelligent boost control will allow slightly higher boost levels before knocking back.

Reply to
Elder

A proper large capacity free flow alloy intercooler would be the way to go,even on a stock motor, if it will phyiscally fit, or along the same lines a charge cooler after the stock 'cooler (care here so it doesnt pose aditional restriction to the turbo) will effect some nicely lower charge temps. You cannot really go tooooo low. Cooler is better much like bigger is better.

You'll need to check where the turbo / ECU senses manifold pressure from. It really must be sensed at the intake manifold, post all 'coolers to overcome any small restrictions.

The stock turbo is safe to about 1.2- 1.4bar afterwhich its time for a hybrid which pose less exhaust restriction in addtion to being able to pump more air.

Make sure you have adequate fuelling to go with it and you should have a big grin on your face!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Cooler intake temps help keep EGT down and cooler EG improves valve life especially if you up the power later. Depending on if you are relocating the intercooler you may have longer runs so have more air in the intake tract that needs to be compressed through when the turbo spins up but it shouldn't be much.

Reply to
Depresion

If you are really interested in the ins and outs then you could do worse than Chapter 10 of Forced Induction Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell. 450+ pages of turbo, supercharger, and charge cooling information.

Reply to
Depresion

Don't be lazy, use Google. I don't believe your excuse. Adding a larger intercooler to a car will do absolutely nothing for performance - it's similar to adding SLICK50 to engine oil. I have tested intercoolers with many petrol and diesel engined cars when stupid boy racers pay me a fortune to fit them to their cars. They leave with the belief it makes the car faster - similar to what they get when they add a noisy exhaust, then start quoting 50-60BHP power increases. All of it is crap, but makes me a hell of a lot of money so I go with it. You will not get that car of yours to go any faster and I wish boy racers would get this in to their heads. The way to get a faster car is to buy one with a bigger engine. The best thing to do is not buy a shed in the first place. It amazes me the amount of tossers that drive a 1.2litre car and think it leave everything standing as they paid an outfit in Wrexham £400 for a noisy exhaust and have fitted silly neon lights. I'll quite happily sell you a large intercooler if you want one, and even tell you it will give you a 0-60 in 9seconds. The latest car to have one fitted was a Rover 25TDi, it made "NO" difference when tested on a rolling road.

Reply to
Rob

Rubbish, not one of the ones I have had on my rolling road have displayed ANY increase in power or torque. You would be an ideal sales man if you want a job with my company. I will stick you in charge of the Idiot Boy Racer Section. Just keep talking crap and watch the money pour in! Most boy racers can only afford one or two mods so it does very little, the money they do spend would be better saved towards a better car. It depends on how much they get on the dole now. I always laugh at the idiots that fit a K&N induction kit and claim that sucking in hot air from around the engine makes the car go faster. Most boy racers talk bollocks, but they are what mke me a very good living, so I just go along with their outrageous claims. We sit there thinking OMG not another one, don't say anything just fit what he wants and take his money, the boy racer knows best. Most of the cars are featured on the BarryBoys website.

Reply to
Rob

Wrong. With big boost levels, like 2bar the temp really goes up. The intercooler will not help on a static dyno (I know I design build and test the things) but it will help at high speed. You cant get enough air through one fast enough without dyno testing in a wind tunnel. I tested similar claims for the early ram air bikes. With a three phase fan on it (the front) no gain seen. If you measure the air box pressure at 170+ theres about 1.5psi more than on the dyno... Thats 3 percent more power. Modern ram air bikes are better still.

Going back to coolers the temperature drop after the cooler ON THE ROAD can be seen clearly at high speed. This prevents detonation, allows either more boost or more advance before detonation stops play.

So shove that in yer pipe and smoke it.

I got mine to go much faster, Like 4.7 to 60. bikes too like 0 to 160 plus in 8.something....

The way to get a faster car is to buy one

I think you need to chill a little! take a few breaths. Trust me coolers work. You dont suppose that all the car manufacturers fit them for fun in a competitive market?

Nor would I expect it to. Or much difference on the road. Not enough boost or heat or anything much on that to need it!

Burgerman

Reply to
Burgerman

Then you are doing something wrong. Hardly a surprise given your total lack of car knowledge deomstraighted on here. By cooling the air it contains more oxygen by volume (as the same volume of air contains more air and all of it's constituent parts). If you expect more power you need to be injecting additional fuel to fully combust with the extra oxygen. Or it could be you have exceptionally crap intercoolers with more resistance than cooling.

Lets look at the maths behind it shall we. Lets take a half decent intercooler for a road car, and say it's 70% efficiency, the ambient temperature is 20c and the temperature coming out of the turbo is 120c, that's a 100c increase and the intercooler will remove 70% of that heat so the new intake tract temperature is

50c so

((120 + 273)/(50+273))-1

(393/323)-1

=21.67% increase in air density, that's over not having an intercooler, you do also have to look at air resistance within the cooler but again unless it's a really bad one fitted by moppets a good after market one will have less resistance than a stock one.

Reply to
Depresion

Quite a bit.

Reply to
Depresion
3 percent is wrong! im pissed...

Reply to
Burgerman

I don't care what you believe.

In what respect? Does SLICK50 reduce air intake temperatures?

So you lie?

Book says it does that anyway, so, what are you on?

Oh, a Rover 25 TDi, eh? What's one of those.

Reply to
DervMan

**
**