<victormeldrew> I don't believe it </v>

I had to make a flying visit back to the UK recently so I hired a car to get me to Rome (Mrs F. needed the Ford and she refuses point blank to drive on her own to Rome) and a car to get me from Bristol to my client's premises.

I only needed basic transport so I ticked "Group A" for the hires.

In Italy I got a brand new Corsa 1.3 diseasel and in the UK I got a Fiat Punto 1.2 Sporting.

I really wasn't expecting much of either of them and in Italy I was worried because the motorway speed limit is 85mph, there's a 10,000 ft mountain between me and Rome, and then at the end of it there's the GRA (aka "Hell on Earth") to negotiate.

The Corsa did surprisingly well, and IMO it's a better car to drive than the Astra. Much better rear view instead of the Astra's pathetic Lotus Europa style window. Not only that but it actually coped with a 10,000ft ascent keeping a steady 130kph all the way.

The Punto was another surprise. I expected no go at all, but alone on the M5 (late flight) it was an easy and rapid drive up to the Midlands with no particular headaches and although it took forever to get up to speed it mostly coped (except it didn't like hills at all, slowing down to 65 in top on some ascents. And th hills on the M5 from Bristol to Worcester are hardly challenging.

Of the two I'd have the Corsa, and I never thought I would say that, ever.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Evolution of a product - had to get something right sooner or later.

Reply to
conkersack

It's what happens when you get Fiat to design it for you.....

Reply to
SteveH