what SOC can I get for £500...

with T&T?

I need a motor for a measly 2 mile commute. The missus needs our polo for work, so I've been walking to work for the last fortnight but I'm heartily pissed off at getting rained on and arriving soaked every day.

So, criteria...

Shite, and old - the older the better afaic. Taxed, with a reasonable amount of test on it. It has no purpose other than to start, stop and get me there dry.

If anyone can find me such a beast within 25 miles of a G82 post code I'd be well impressed. Possible stretch to £600. Hit me.

Reply to
tomScotland

Wrong group I know, but a bike is the answer for a 2 mile commute - 10 mins if you're slow, so rather less soaking than you're getting on foot. 2 mile commutes aren't good for cars anyway...

And the answer to the car question is "almost anything" surely? 5 mins/day spent in it means it can be the worst piece of shit in your life, so long as it works. Handling, image, speed, etc - all utterly irrelevant. Micra :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Anything for sale for less that £500... Lots of Astras and Mondeos around at that money. ZX and Xsaras too, with good diesel engines.

Reply to
Doki

I've spotted something altogether more interesting, a late mk2 Golf GTI. Typically, this is turning from the need for a s**te old car into the lust for a better s**te old car.

Reply to
tomScotland

Whilst I love MK2 Golfs, I suspect £500 is a bit short for a half decent one.

Reply to
Doki

For a GTI, I'd think so.

Reply to
Timo on tour

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:03:21 -0700, Timo on tour yelled loudly:

Maybe not far off. I picked up a good K-Plate MK2 for £700 a couple of years ago with 12 months MOT on it. In good nick it was too, and still is. It's done 30k since, now on 180k and my brother still hammers it daily..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

yes, agreed. I'm going to look at a late 8v tomorrow morning...its well over budget.

Reply to
tomScotland

Scrappage scheme makes this a bit harder now. I one bought a micra, with a years MOT, for about 200 quid. Just kept topping it up with fuel and oil, never serviced it. Just worked.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Did it use more oil than fuel?

Reply to
DervMan

It always felt that way

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sig tells the story....link provides the pics

tomScotland