1996 Mustang Factory CD player

The factory CD player in my mustang just stopped working the other day. It was playing alright and then it just stopped and spit out the CD. I tried it several times afterwards but it will just spit out the CD a few seconds after I put it in. I even tried different CD's! Has anyone had this problem? I'm debating whether I should get it fixed or buy a used one off of ebay. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply to
fro96gt

It was playing alright and then it just stopped and spit out the CD. I tried it several times afterwards but it will just spit out the CD a few seconds after I put it in. I even tried different CD's! Has anyone had this problem? I'm debating whether I should get it fixed or buy a used one off of ebay. Any suggestions?

Common problem. I bought a used one from eBay. If I did it again, I'd probably get a nice aftermarket head unit with the adapter to plug into the wiring harness. Easily reversible and an all-in-one solution. Bonus: you can get that tray to put where the CD player went and add an extra storage cubby.

Reply to
Keith

Note that a Mach 460 system requires a more expensive wiring harness to adapt an aftermarket deck to the factory wiring and amplifier system, so if you have this option, make sure you have everything you need before swapping in an aftermarket deck. It might be helpful to talk to a local stereo shop.

I'd suggest buying a used one from eBay if you're not overly concerned with upgrading the stereo...

JS

Reply to
JS

$20 at Circuit City. A friend put a nice Alpine MP3 player CD head unit in his '98 GT with a Mach 460.

Reply to
Keith

I have a couple good used ones if you decide to stay with the factory stereo.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Yeah, I know I'm only about two weeks late on the reply...lol... but...

Basically, to put in an aftermarket player like the Alpine you mention only adds functionality... most of the sound quality that the Alpine added is lost through the relatively noisy and vague Mach 460 system. The only thing that's stopped me from putting in my Rio is the fact that the Mach system wouldn't really take advantage of the sound quality that the head unit has to offer.

I did think that the adapter was more expensive though. Does it take a preamp input or speaker level? I might actually throw the Rio in if it's only $20 to adapt to the Mach system. Last I'd checked, it was in the $70-80 range for something that still sounds like a stock stereo.

JS

Reply to
JS

Definitely not $70-80. I know it was $20ish. If you have a Circuit City store by you, check with their installation people.

Reply to
Keith

Will do - thanks for the tip. It'd be nice to put that into *something* since it has so many great features... it's just collecting dust on my dresser... *sigh*

JS

Reply to
JS