'87-'91 Steering Column

My '91 5.0 LX steering column has an airbag with no tilt. I got a column with a tilt wheel off an '88 5.0 LX. Before I take everything apart, does anyone know of the challenges that will come up with the switch? Will the wiring for cruise control fit right in? I didn't take the directional control module because I thought mine would fit right in. Think it will? Any help is appreciated.

Steve '91 LX 5.0 5spd

Reply to
Jim Dish

I'm interested in doing this change as well. If you don't mind I would like to add one other question about the cruise control. Is there an aftermarket steering wheel that has provisions for it or some kind of kit to move the controls to say the turn signal arm. This would be a great addition to my other steering changes.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Hi I do not think there is much difference other than the air bag in the wheel. As for the criuse control you can get after market kits from stores that will adapt and I believe some with the control on the signal swicth as well. If you do this switch and do find differences could you please post back. Thaks Dave.

Reply to
69GT4spdtrac-loc

My neighbor tried this with a '90 GT, the trim piece at the bottom of the column that is also part of the dash is different. You either have to replace more of the lower dash parts or somehow modify the trim piece to make it work.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thanks for the info Mike. I can get the trim piece from where I got the whole column.

Did your neighbor have any issues with the electrical hook ups?

Steve

Reply to
Mac Ditos

The tilt trim piece is different than the non-tilt piece and will not work with the non-tilt lower dash trim. The lower dash trim for the tilt column will not work with the non-tilt upper dash trim, ect...

Actually, he didn't complete the swap and returned it back to stock. He'd get to a point where the newer dash parts wouldn't work with the original dash and have to pull more out and find more newer parts in the proper colors. He ended up removing the complete dash, had problems findng all the proper parts for the conversion, replaced the heater core and all the plenum seals while he was in there then put the stock dash back in.

Reply to
WraithCobra