mach 460; ability to play 'burned CD's'

Hey there,

Looking at a 04 GT - anyone have any experience with the 460 sound system and it's ability to play CD's 'burned on the home computer' - i.e., do they work in this sound system in this car?

Excuse the repetition if this has been thrashed through before...

Thanks,

Crewe Dave

Reply to
Crewe Dave

Yes, it works on both my stangs with the system you have

Reply to
David Burris

"Crewe Dave" snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com

I have an '01 GT, and I have a fine collection of audience recordings of concerts (i.e., bootlegs). They play fine in the Mach 460 CD player.

Ford recommends, however, that you do *not* use adhesive labels on CDs if you have an in-dash changer. It gets hot in there, and the labels peel off and literally gum up the works.

- Max - ======= The most favorable posthumous history the stay-at-home traitor can hope for is--oblivion.

- Ulysses S. Grant

Reply to
Max C. Webster III

Reply to
cobra boy
** Hey there, ** ** Looking at a 04 GT - anyone have any experience with the 460 sound system ** and it's ability to play CD's 'burned on the home computer' - i.e., do they ** work in this sound system in this car? ** ** Excuse the repetition if this has been thrashed through before... ** ** Thanks, ** ** Crewe Dave **

CDR's without labels are fine. (use a marker instead.) Mine won't read CDRW's, and of course, MP3's are out as well.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Music burned to CD-R works fine in my Mach 460, but I'd suggest you don't burn to CD-RW as they rarely work in mine. The CD-RW has a less reflective surface and is much harder to play, if it plays at all.

Reply to
Scudder

Hey all - thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Crewe Dave

Reply to
Crewe Dave

These guys are correct, NO ADHESIVE LABLES!

Ford didn't originally put this in their owners manuals when they stsrted using cd's because there were few , if any , cd writers in the consumers hands.

Since they have had so many come to the shops with adhesive lables scrambling the mechanisms, they have come up with a supplement on some, and it is written in the owners manual on others.

I will bring home and scan a copy of the page they ship with ALL cd players now, new or repaired. ( if the page is not in one purchased or pre-exchanged , then someone has forgotten to do their job )

The page is clear on what should not be used in ANY Ford CD player, but fails to mention that this hould be recognized in all CD players that automatically handle the cd's, ie.Changers (home or automotive )or cd players with "automatic" recieve and eject.

In my work, I pull many cd's with the lables stuck on them , that are fine looking, however, the paper has bubbled up in a few tiny places and jams the mechanism. Generally this doesn't hurt the player, just the handling mechanism. Once those little rubber wheels start rolling on the paper surface it picks up fibers off of the paper and begins to get too slick to grip other CD's like it did without the fibers. There are some cases where I have seen some pretty nice looking lables that are a very shiny type paper that doesn;t allow tyhe fibers to get in the way, yet they seem to be the ones that buble upl the most, I assume from the fact that the paper doesn't "breathe" well. While we're on the subject , I have noticed a lot of cd's that DO skip if they are made from the KAZAA stuff . You know, the pirated stuff................You get what you pay for in that case. Sometimes it has to do with the brand (read "quality" ) of cd's you are burning the music on. Generally if you're buying those really cool colored ones form Wally World, that have the name IMATION on them, you are buying something that is not best suited for music recording.........the issue being that the data surface seems to exfoliate on them a lot, in my experiences, this leaves a million tiny bits of reflective metallic flakes all in your plaer and will eventually damage the player in one way or another.

The message is : buy quality recording media and use your head when putting things in ANY CD player.

Anyoine need more info, I can go on, Ask me about the left and right side audio swap....................LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

A little off topic but some additional info on the subject of CD labels. Several people have found that CDs that people have stuck adhesive labels on go bad after a few years. The only consistent factor in which CDs go bad and which don't has been whether they had these do it yourself labels on them. Exact cause unknown, presumed to be some interaction between the adhesive and the dye layer. This was a study of data cd's but I would expect the same would happen to music CDs. If you have important CDs, do NOT use adhesive labels, just write on them with a marker pen. None of the ones with marker pen writing went bad.

don't, it's its.

likewise yours

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

I have no problem , They work fine

Reply to
RobertGOhio

Sounds like Ford needs to make their stock CD players read MP3s from a CDR. Would definitely make my world more enjoyable if I had a new model Mustang that played CDs. Alas, all I have is an '88 year model, still with the stock tape deck. Wonder if I could play MP3s on that? But it does have a carb'd 351W in it. ; ) Maybe I should install an MP3 deck in my old '88 before Ford can get to it in their new cars. Hmmmmmmmmm......

Reply to
Richardson

Rein

Actually, about 2 years ago i rented a 2002 4x4 Ranger from.. Budget I think... It was a brand new truck that Budget had just gotten. I was the

3rd person to rent it and it only had about 1200 miles on it. Anyway, i rented that or a trip from Detroit to West Virginia and back to pick up a 302 long block and AOD Tranny for my stang. It handled the weight better then i expected. (just made sure it was all centered)

Anyway, point being. it had a stock ford MP3 CD player in it. No changer, just the indash single CD. I loved it though I filled one CD with MP3's and started it when i left the driveway, and it was just finishing the last song just as i pulled back into the driveway after the trip. I need to get an MP3 stereo for my car now....

Reply to
Erimikos

Reply to
cobra boy