Anyone live near the I-15???

I'll be travelling this road a lot in the coming weeks - going on that big trip to Arizona (from Calgary, Alberta) me and the wife have been planning... What's the speed limit on the I-15? Does it vary from state to state? How much will the police give you over the limit?

Thanks guys!

Brad S

PS: Anyone live in Phoenix??? What MUST we see when we are there???? :)

Reply to
Brad

It does vary between states, and even within a single given state. I'm in Southern California in the San Bernardino area, and I drive the I-15 freeway all the time down to San Diego. It's 70mph at points, and 65 at others. Same goes for heading up to Las Vegas, it turns to 70 in the more desolate areas.

Traffic to San Diego usually goes about 75 to 80 during the day (barring any traffic) and up as high as 85 at night, with the occasional slowpoke and speeder here and there. The police don't seem to care too much as long as you don't get up to 80mph, unless there are other cars around. During the day just go the flow of traffic... it's generally fast enough for most people's taste. At night, try to keep it around 75 to be safe. In general, five to ten miles per hour over is usually enough to let you slide by, depending upon how heavily populated the area is. Be warned of clocking by airplane in the area south of Temecula coming through Raibow. It's rare, but it happens and they are less tolerant of speeding of any kind when they do that.

Driving through the desert north to Nevada is a much faster proposition. I've routinely seen 100mph traffic during the daytime. Personally, I'd go with the flow, which will likely keep you at around 85mph if it's fairly empty. It seems like 10 to 15 over is generally accepted, but only because it's so desolate. Lots of places for police to hide in the area near Baker, though. But I'm not aware of any aerial clocking along any of those routes, but I'm sure it happens.

Do make sure to stop in at Bun Boy in the city of Baker and get a strawberry milkshake. Well worth the stop, I assure you. Make sure it's Bun Boy, though. The Mad Greek just doesn't have the same tasty strawberry shakes.

The I-15 in San Diego is a normal freeway with normal traffic. Keep it between 65 and 70mph and you should be fine. You can make up for lost time on the 8 to Arizona if you're taking that path. Be sure to eat Mexican food when in San Diego and in any parts of Arizona. You'll never have it as good as it is there when you're back in Canada. There's lots of other places to stop for a snack once you get back to civilization coming from Nevada on the I-15... there's even some top notch seafood coming through Temecula, which is also a fairly decent wine producing area with some nice vineyards and scenery. And of course San Diego is full of stuff as well, being the first major city of any real consequence you'll come to after Las Vegas. Everything else is basically just suburbs and outlet malls.

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Also, note the "in coming weeks" of the OP. I don't know about out west, but 'round here the cops are out in force around holidays and

3-Day weekends. If this travel occurs during Labor Day weekend, note that they'll be a lot less tolerant of speeders. Emanuel
Reply to
Emanuel Brown

Well, during a holiday weekend he won't have to worry about doing 80 between Vegas and California..

he'll be lucky to get up to 20 for a good portion of it :)

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

If you happen to be around on a Saturday evening you should go hit the Scottsdale Pavillions... There is a huge car show every weekend in the evening there. It's a lot of fun to go to. Everything from mopar to rice is represented. It's a lot of fun to go. I've seen some pretty amazing Saleen mustangs and a Cobra R around.

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Andy

Good point! Starting Sept 6 and the first Saturday eve of every month, the first two rows closest to McD's will be for Mustangs!

E-mail me if you'd like more info on what to see.

Hank (change the w to a y in my addy) Phoenix '89 ASC McLaren #176 '87 ASC McLaren #134 '85 GT

Reply to
Hank

Wow I didn't know this. What does it take to be in the first two rows at McD's? (: I wish I didnt have a nasty dent in my drivers side I'd love to show mine off!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Andy

Nothing to get in, just show up!! The earlier the better. This one will be the first.

Dent doesn't matter, there are lots of "work in progress" vehicles.

I'm going to try to be there. I'll bring my car, not sure if Chris can bring his. It is a real work in prgress.

Hank

Reply to
Hank