Re: Where to live? (I reckon this might be OT...)

Doki get that Ka and yourself to Aberystwyth. The seaside, the roads, the nightlife is great and there is NO crime - mate of mine went there, left his £1500 mountain bike outside the arcade without being locked up (sounds stupid huh) and it was still there 4 hours later. Insurance should be mega cheap too. I went to Coventry, left my mountain bike unattended for 2 minutes and it was gone. Ran after the bugger and got it back tho :)

Aberystwyth is quite a well respected uni as well if you're thinking of the future.

Oh and that numbskull who said the cliched get a job rubbish. You're just jealous. Uni is great. I really miss it.

Reply to
Fishman19

In article , "Fishman19" spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yep, heard good things about Aber too.

Went to Luton Uni. Not a bad town, just 1/2 an hour from London on the train, so you can avoid the congestion charge on days/nights out.

Can be a bit towny and a little rough in places but it's what you make it, but the student scene is very strong. I actually lived in one of the roughest areas in the town, "Where white people don't go at night, and students don't live", lived there for 3 years (stayed a year after uni) never saw any trouble, walked home at 3AM some times. Got on with the locals fine, and never got broken in or anything.

Also. Work in Manchester. Another very strong student scene, and a few choice places to study too, with MMU, Umist, and Salford Uni all being based here. plus Oop North will be far cheaper than going south.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Not recommending that dump next to Brayford Pool then Dan?

Reply to
Fishman19

hehe okay about Aberystwyth, my sister went there and I spent a bunch of ti= me there. It is wet and cold be wary about that. If your stuck there for the winter... be prepared for hellish storms that hurl bloody great rocks off the beach across the road through windows of the 1st year students digs.... the wire shutters are there for that reason, not riot control. Don't get pissed & think it a good idea to walk along beach during these storms... that's the uni's best kept secret..the amount of student deaths due to winter storms. Everyone wears the local sheep in the form of a bloody great woolly jumper that stretches down to your knees (Fashion sense is overtaken by survival instinct after the first few months). The place is dead on a Sunday. The local do switch to speak welsh when non-locals enter a shop. The tourists a= re called 'grocals' or something.=20 The scenery is amazing and so is the driving around the whole area.=20 If you got thermal balls, the uni has a diving school and they dive the lak= es around the area. There is a bloody big hill to walk up to get to the Uni from the town, In fact you cant get out of Aber without facing a bloody big hill.=20 It is a depressing & cool place to be a student, and hardly any of the student are welsh... which may or may not be a bonus. Its Mid Wales..there are pub on every street..but its Mid-Wales and they are often closed when y= ou want a drink !

Reply to
Aber-wrist-with

Saying its '100 miles from Nottingham' is pushing the bounds of bullshit :)

Reply to
Dan405

Say hello to my girlie, she'll be the one sitting in the broken down 19 16v :)

-- Chet

Chet

She'll need warming up then Carl....

Reply to
Dan405

Recommended :)

-- Chet

Chet

If i see her broken down, i'll give her a hand and whip out my tool ;)

So if i see some nutter doing a burnout in an ageing 21, that'll be you?!?!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

LOL dirty job but someone has to do it ;)

Not unless you come over here, the uk isn't ready for an irishman in a 21 just yet ;)

-- Chet

Chet

And it won't be untill burnouts are allowed on the ferry. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

So have you?

Asked the landlady at the B&B we stopped at when at brothers wedding last december. She said "We don't loik him round 'ere we don't"

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Don't fancy it, and it's a bit too close :).

Reply to
Doki

I've been to Salford uni for a conference thing. You're not getting me anywhere near that shitehole :). I'll see if MMU or Manc will let me in. Thinking of doing Politics and I doubt UMIST run a course.

Reply to
Doki

Well i'm not sure Ireland is ready for an Englishmen in a 340 yet ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's also infested with cameras of various sorts. Not the sort of place a keen driver would want to live.

Reply to
SteveH

Rush hours and weekend shopping does get pretty bad, yeah.. just too much traffic on the roads.. there's not really alot they can do because there isn't the space to do it in.

Except smaller, so not quite so intimidating for someone who isn't very familiar with the road system.

Yeah, there's certainly loads of bloody cyclists ;)

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Salford, Manchester and MMU share a lot of campus facilities and halls of residence.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Found a 1.7 340 here today, has a siezed diff tho. Wonder if i can get one cheap...

-- Chet

Chet

Chemistry labs, however, could be immense fun, in a pyromaniac sort of way :-)

Reply to
SteveH