CD Players On Their way Out

Won't be long and CD players will be just a old, quaint accessory at a future car show.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

....they are SO last decade

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

Just switched out the Custom Auto Sound radio in my 65FB to add iPod/flashdrive ability. Even my new home theater receiver comes with an iPod dock.

As far as being last century or last decade.... just wait until the whole system comes crashing down (ala northeast blackout) and we'll all be back to beating on logs with sticks.

Reply to
D E Willson

Foxbody - some had cassett tape players

remember 8 track tapes --- very rare

remember 4 track tapes ? cant find them now.

saw one car with a LP turntable in the middle, looong time ago.

I just put in a new player and use a small thumb drive, it has 30 hours of music on it

Reply to
biofilm

Though each succeeding technology was better than the previous, it wasn't until CDs that stored music was decent. I hated 8-tracks and cassettes. Seemed just when you really wanted to hear your favorite music, suddenly the tape deck would eat it. You would try to pull it out and save it, but by the time you did you'd have twisted tape all over the damn car.

Thank god for digital!

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I have some, a player for my Thunderbird and a home Hi-Fi setup that will record to them.

Reply to
WindsorFo

in 1970 I had an 8 in a 65 Mustang FB which only had an AM radio when I got it. My present 65FB (not the same car) only had an AM radio. I added a 12 disc CD player. Just enough music to last until the next fillup, swap cartridges, and back on the road. :0)

Lincoln Continental.... but the skip was terrible.

Reply to
D E Willson

Yep. Remember how many stripped out cassets you could see along the roads? 8 Track, which right in the middle of a song went kaa chunk.

digital is great. Very little space required. far superior to CD storage and use.

Reply to
D E Willson

..

Yep. I think some people were so mad that their relatively new 8- Track or cassette went to shit they'd fling it out the window.

So I have to ask. Why are you still using an old-school 12-disc CD changer?

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I almost bought a new receiver with a USB input, even had the module to make the buttons on my steering wheel operate it. But it was a lot of $ and trouble just to get a USB. Since mine has a Aux. audio input I got an inexpensive MP3 player and stuck it on with some velcro.

Reply to
WindsorFo

actually the fast forward works better that way

Reply to
biofilm

Because.... LOL

Seriously, a priority was to maintain the original look of the car (sort of a sleeper). That required a stereo which looked like the original AM radio. That ruled out the "modern" systems. At the time, USB/iPod/flash drive were not available. Now the companies that produce old looking modern radios have added those formats, and so have I. Just have not removed the CD Changer.

Reply to
D E Willson

Nothing wrong with that. We do what we must with the cash we have. LOL I just added Cruise Control and air conditioning, as well as FloFit seats. Of course, one upgrade can lead to surprising complications.

The FloFit seats are coming back out though. Better seats but I sit so high my head touches the headliner. The solution is to lower the seat pans. I'm just not ready to tear out the interior in order to do that right now. So, the original seats are being reupholstered with the Sport Seat (which has better foam and that makes for better bolsters) option and headrests. Another problem with the FloFit upgrade was that the seats are very limited by the rear interior panels, so you can't recline them very far. Lowering the seatpans and angeling them seems to be the best solution for "reclining".

Another problem experienced with upgrades is like with my front suspension. The A/C and seats added enough weight to the front that with no effort, the tires make contact with the fender lip (especially on the driver side since I am the only person in the car).

Reply to
D E Willson

TFrog has the original Ford Premium Sound System, AM/FM Cassette. The tape player hasn't been used in years, and I really only listen to AM for news and sports. But...

Jean's got that damn Escape with the Sync system, and I admit to being a mite jealous. I've gone so far as to price out an all-Alpine installation (with Bluetooth, iPod connectivity, single subwoofer, etc.), but keep running up against the same problem - it would be installed in an

18-year-old piece o' &%#$ 5.0. The car has other priorities.

FINALLY got off my ass and started prepping for winter. Spent 5 hours last Sunday with the polish and wax (all Mother's, all the time), but still have to do the lower molding and panels. Here's a bad photo from Monday:

Part of me wanted to stop after the pipes were cleaned, and head back to the La-Z-Boy. The photo makes TFrog look a bit better than it actually does - still could use a complete paint job. (Got one quote - $4,000 - and got scared off.) Even so, while it looks like ass, the polish and wax now makes it look like shiny ass, and I'm very pleased with the appearance (so long as it's not in direct sunlight).

The Alpine set-up remains in my Wish List at BestBuy. Meanwhile, my stereo continues to be the twin pipes out back (especially at 2,000 rpm), and I have no need for GPS or any desire to talk (hands-free or otherwise) while driving.

I'm connected at work, connected at home. I prefer TFrog to be a "safe zone," I think, and don't really need the electronic distraction. Still...

dwight lately incapable of making a decision

Reply to
dwight

The stereo is for enjoying while on the road. If I am taking a trip, my notebook pc with gps/mapping, etc, goes with me.

I never have and never will use my phone while driving. If I get messages, I'll find out at the next stop. If I get a call, it will go to voice mail. Even to report an accident, I don't use my cell until I have pulled over.

And, I agree, the exhaust provides sweet background music. :0)

Reply to
D E Willson

I think what you'd find is that fancy stereo would feel out of place. In much the same way a modern-style kitchen would look, and be, out of place in an old farm house. Sure, the new kitchen would have better functionality, make for easier clean up, etc, but the character of the room/house is lost. I say unless your factory premium sound system breaks/stops working, I'd keep what you have.

Here's a tip. To make the bottom-half and front/back easier, use ramps.

She still looks good, Dwight.

lol

Here's the thing, at T-Frog's age, 19+ years, no one expects a daily- driven car to be scratch, chip and ding free. But if it's clean, straight, well-cared for, only minor rust, and not wrecked, it's a keeper. That's a car ANY car-guy/girl would LOVE to get a hold of and restore/make a project of. (Think of you opening up an old man/lady's garage door and finding an old hot rod or muscle car in similar condition. You'd go nuts. Much the same way some young person will view yours some day, if not already.) Also note the new trend of old hot rods with surface rust and faded paint. It's what they looked like back in the day when they were daily driven, and that makes them more appealing. As opposed to a freakin' show car you're scared to drive because it might get a stone chip or a little dirty. Life is short -- live it, drive it.

Nope, won't have it. There is no "still." Save the money for

5.0Resto parts.

That's okay. I made it for you... it's done.

What else can I help you with? :-)

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I did that in a POS '81 corolla hatchback, in 1998. $2G of stereo in a $200 car. But car ran great and I like my tunes.

Reply to
RM V2.0

looks great! (I should not have sold my 1993 5.0, darn it! )

Reply to
biofilm