How to set tire pressure. was: Re: Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra...

"Blue Mesteno" wrote

Just remember that it eats the tire more quickly to run it underinflated > and > that is decreases fuel efficiency.

The problem with this is whether you should use hot or cold tire pressure. Most websites I've been to say to use a "cold tire" to set the pressure, including the NHTSA, however the tire lists on its sidewall the MAX pressure setting which, AFAIK, means the most pressure the tire should ever see. Obviously a tire set to max pressure while cold is going to go OVER the MAX pressure when it gets hot. So WHICH are we supposed to set our tire pressure at???????

Another thing that's interesting about this is that the conflicting information is on the same websites. Including the NHTSA!!! DOH!!!

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Rule of thumb..... *most* tires (using a fill of atmospheric or ambient air) will gain about 1 PSI per 10 degree fahrenheit increase. Nitrogen is both inert and thermally stable (compared to "air") and is a better choice...

Disclaimer.... I earned my drivers licence in 1966.... In the intervening 40 years, all I have ever used is "air" in my tires......

In the FWIW department.... if you don't plan on running the tire at max inflation pressure, why worry. The tire should be inflated to the recommendations of the car manufacturer (and the tire companies will all tell you to do this)...

Reply to
Jim Warman