MGW black T-handle finally installed

The black/chromed T-handle from MGW arrived this afternoon. It only took 5 minutes to install, and it looks great. I had hoped it would be larger, as it does not quite fill my large, hairy hands well, but it's MUCH better than the little, cutesy, nobbie thing I had on there before.

You can see this product at:

They do carry T's for autos as well - move up one level.

The black portion of the handle isn't plastic. It appears to be some sort of anodized aluminum or something similar, however it looks to be very durable. The chromed pony logo in the center is very heavily plated and looks nice, however I'd prefer they offered a solid black handle without it. The chromed post under the handle provides plenty of grabbing-room, and keeps the boot from getting in the way.

How does it work? Oh, sooooo very nicely! The added mass makes shifting nearly effortless, and allows you to keep your wrist horizontal while grabbing gears, and gives you a very nice place to rest your hand while waiting for the next one. Mated wtih my Ax, the trademark 'snick' sound you get when changing gears is more pronounced, which is good. The transmission also lets more 'scraping' sound get through with this shifter handle in place, which is bad. But the newfound ease of shifting FAR outweighs the added noise.

Finding a gear is MUCH easier now. Before, it was a struggle to swing the shifter over to the 5/R slot. Now, it is not only nearly effortless, but a LOT more fun. Gear to gear movements are now much more precise, and more importantly, FASTER. Oh yes, much, much faster. I can now see why people like large, heavy shifter handles: just a little push and it glides right into place without having to search for the gate, or 'palming' the handle in hopes that the internal springs will find the way for you. For me, holding the handle while the wrist is vertical was a struggle; this is a much better setup.

The handle sits up a bit more than most, so dropping the Ax's shift lever to the lower setting may be optimal. I like it sitting up in the high position, with the handle bolted to the right of the shifter; this keeps the handle centered in the console, and gives me more leverage. With this great-looking T-handle, the Ax is a hell of a lot more fun to play with.

MGW didn't noodle around with the 2-day air freight either. I ordered Monday morning from their facility in GA, and it was on my doorstep in CA Wednesday afternoon. At $50.00, it wasn't cheap, but like the Ax, it's a very solidly built handle that nicely matches the rest of the interior, and makes shifting a breeze. Highly recommended.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

I'm sure it looks and works great, but is it me or does this sound like a "sales job"

Reply to
MPBSR25

I still like my vintage Hurst T handle, even if you can get branded if you aren't careful on a really hot day...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yeah, I'm sure JD ownes stock in that company so he wants to push the sales up....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I like the Vintage Hursts myself; it sits down too far for me though; I have very large hands, and there just wasn't room for my fingers between the handle and boot. The MGW sits up an inch or so above the boot, giving my dinner-plate sized paws plenty of room.

Everyone...hurry up and buy $100,000-worth of MGW stock. I haven't done a pump-n-dump in a long while, and I want my 15-minutes of fame, alongside Martha Stewart.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

Glad you're happy with it. I have always recommended that handle. I have it with the gripper shift knob satin/GT-logo.

Glad to see you enjoying it, and I hope you're getting excellent kickbacks from MGW for your sales pitch, as noted by our resident genius MPBSR25.

;)

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Reply to
Victor DiMichina

To be honest, it's a very good design, but still not large enough for me. I do manage to get 3 fingers around it, which is more than with most, so I'm happy with it. I may carve my own out of a block of walnut this winter, if I have the time.

Global West and Max Motorsports will have to share the limelight with MGW now I guess. Anyone who makes a decent product and ships quickly should recieve honorable mention here.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

Actually I have a Pro 5.0 with a bent Hurst rod that I "modified" and put the Hurst T on. It looks like an old Hurst 4 speed shifter.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Now, that would work for me. I've considered pulling an old Hurst shifter off a wrecker and doing a bit of cutting and welding to produce something similar to what you have. I may end up buying the MGW handle and tweaking it a bit instead.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

I'll snap a picture tomarrow and post it on my web site.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What's the URL? :-)

Mike