Reattaching louvers

My rear deck louvers ('80 Mustang) blew off in a windstorm and I saw that they had been attched with thick double sided "sticky tape." The fact that this stuff lasted 27 years is somewhat amazing.

I have been unable to find anything like the original. It seemed to be rubber based rather than foam. I tried Liquid Nails and carpet runner tape with no success. Any ideas? Those louvers sure help keep the interior cooler.

Reply to
elaich

Try urethane "sealant". It comes in a big tube at the hardware store, the kind of tube you put in a caulking gun.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Some of the aftermarket venders use 3m Adhesive Bonding Tape.

GILL

Red 3M Jesus tape. It's a thin rubber based double sided tape that the plastic cover strip is red. Clean the surfaces real well and make DAMN sure the first place you stick it is where you want it to go. One it touches there will be no moving it.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I've used that stuff several times and have never had good luck with it. In many cases it seemed worse then the regular 3M double stick tape (the one with the green plaid sort of backing)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

gorilla glue is almost the same as the urethane and much more controllable,

Reply to
chumley

I know you said you can't find the original anywhere, but have you checked with Ford?

I had a badge fall off my GTA.... fortunately in my garage.... and the local GM dealer had some tape that locked that sucker back on there better than new. He also made sure to clean the area very well with paint thinner or solvent (forget which).

Reply to
Spike

FYI

Any decent body shop can get you the right stuff. Just stop buy and ask, they will likely just give you enough for your project if you want to do it yourself. They also use a similar structural adhesive in the OTR trucking industry.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody