Curious Super Beetle Louvers

Curious question: Why do Super Beetles need louvers in the front apron?

Reply to
Debra Chervenka

they don't *need* them...and from what i understand(and could be wrong) some of the european markets did not have them...also from what i understand(could be wrong again) that since air conditioning was sometimes mounted on the later models that the superbeetle had the louvers so when the condensor was mounted up front it had sufficient airflow to it.....but as i said, that has been my understanding, but not necessarily from expert data....

------------------- Chris Perdue

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Superbugs in the USA usually came with the louvers under the front apron so that the dealers could add airconditioning when the customer asked for it - the condensor was mounted behind the front apron - under the spare wheel well.

In many other countries where air conditioning was not common - the front apron is solid - no slots.

Regards Rob Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages Repairs and maintenance for the home mechanic

Rob

Reply to
bugman1955

Not much need for A/C up there.... Thanks for the replies. Now I have to go find an A/C, it get's hot in SoCal...

Reply to
Debra Chervenka

What do you mean?

Reply to
Howard Rose

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Thanks Ben, the louvers are certainly interesting - not something I've seen on a UK car! Where do they lead - straight into the front wheel well?

Although I felt kinda stupid posting that reply then reading the other replies to the thread that answered the question! :o)

Reply to
Howard Rose

Reply to
Ben Boyle