right front knocking

When i hit even small bumps, i get a knocking sound in the fight front area. 2 shops said that my struts are new & the rest of the front end is fine. they said thats normal for the gt suspension. it only bangs on the passenger side. it handles great & the steering is tight. one shop thought it might be the upper strut mount. the other shops said no. HELP......

thanx a bunch......

Reply to
T T
1) Sway bar ends would be a place to look. The rubber insulators get worn out over time and break off. Cheap/easy to fix at home with simple tools.

OR

2) the brake caliper insulators. These are little rubber/metal sleeves that the front brake caliper bolts get inserted into. Cheap/easy to fix at home with simple tools.

I have had 1 + 2 make a noise similar to the one you are describing.

OR

3) You could also have a bad/worn out front A-Arm bushing. Fairly hard to fix at home and you need lots of tools. Think of dismantling your entire front suspension.

Tech/Money tip: With regards to 3) above, FRPP sells brand new a-arms with new ball joints and bushings installed for about the same price as new balljoints in your existing arms plus labor. For some extra money you can have new balljoints and bushings in a new a-arm assembly. I just did a set of these on my 86 coupe and it worked out great.

Chris

T T wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Thanx Chris. gonna check those out this morning.

Reply to
T T

Depending on how loud the knock is...it could be something as simple as that black-plastic-front-spoiler-thing coming loose and rattling around under the front bumper, which is connected with those panhead plastic friction fasteners. I had a noisy right front (kinda like you described) and refastened mine with stainless steel bolts. Problem solved.

Reply to
tom

I too have mystery knocking, at slow sppeds in turning big and little bumps. It has been there for some time I have even suspected the transmission mounts because it seems to tellegraph through the firewall. BUT you know how mystery noises are, theymove like gypsies!

We have had this car up in the air at least four times looking for it.

I'm going to take the ideas offered in this post and look again. If we find anything, we will holler.

Reply to
SVTKate