Tie Downs on Late Model Mustang?

Help! We're trying to figure out the best way to tie down the front end of a 2003 Mustang 100th Anniversary convertible in a trailer. The rear isn't a problem as we can cross the straps without hitting the gas tank. However, when we try to tie to the front suspension and cross the straps they hit the front air dam. We're really afraid of having the car break loose in the trailer if we don't cross the straps (had that happen with my fastback once, not good). Does anyone know how Ford ties these down when they transport them? We can't find any tie down points and we've looked everywhere.

Reply to
Laurie S.

I have a 2001 and assuming the 2003 is not different.

There are two holes in the frame near the front of the car, about as far forward as the door hinges. The cars as transported with tiedowns placed in those holes.

Since the car is a convertible, you should have a K member brace tying the back of the K member to the frame. I use wraparounds over the brace and crosstie the car to trailer. I have an aftermarket front bumper and it doesn't hit it. You can thread the wraparounds by reaching in behind the front tires.

Reply to
SteveL1994

Thank you!

Reply to
Laurie S.

Laurie,

I haul cars all the time and I almost never cross the tie downs. I always use chain, never nylon straps. Once a nylon strap failed on me. It was vibrating from the wind and it was cut by some sheetmetal under the car. I tie the car so the chains snug the car down. Since most of what I haul are drag race cars, I make sure the tires are pumped up to reduce sway. Never tie the axles, always use the frame . On our 67 Mustang I use the upper A arms in the front. I use an open trailer so I can get under the car while it's on the trailer. With an enclosed trailer it's hard to get under the car. So we hook the chains on the front before we winch the car in. Our enclosed trailer has great tie points front and rear. We always solidly tie the rear, and snug it from the front. If something happens the car is most likely going to try to go forward, so the rear chains have to be no-nonsense. I use 3/8 chain with forged hooks and good forged load binders. The binders are over center devices and you can pull the car right down with them. About the holes and slots under the car. Northern Hydraulics has chains with ends that go into the various places. Go to their web page and search for # 3309064. I have one, if you want I'll send you a picture. Any tow truck has them.

Here is what a load binder looks like:

Many years ago I had a car break loose on a trailer in rush hour traffic in St. Louis. I had a cable winch holding the front and the hook broke. Never again:)

Al in Tucson

Reply to
Big Al