Transmission Question - "clunk" noise when shifting

We have a 1992 Ford Mustang Convertible with a 2.3L L4 FI OHV engine and an automatic tranny.

We love this old car and really hate to sell it. It has always been very dependable and fun to drive. We only drive it with the top down, which is only a day or two each month. We have recently purchased a newer convertible and will sell this one shortly.

The ONLY problem that I have never been able to understand, or fix, is a "clunk" when you start it up cold, then shift into either drive or reverse. You hear a clunk noise similar to what you would expect if a U-joint was really bad. I have checked the U-joints, and there is NO play in them.

Is this a common problem, and how do I fix it? Is there an adjustment to the transmission that will let me "take up the slack"?

Another unrelated question: Where was this little 2.3L engine made? It's been a REALLY solid one. I am guessing that it was made by Mazda, but not sure.

THANKS in advance! Gene

Reply to
Gene

I pulled the rear-end plate & it is DEFINITELY the rear-end. There is a LOT of play in the center gears of the rear-end. If anyone has a URL to the steps needed to re-shim the rear end of this 2.3L 1992 Ford Mustang with an automatic tranny, PLEASE post the link. I have a Chilton's, but can't find it today.

THANKS!!

Reply to
Gene