starter noise when shifting

My 1986 Toyota pickup, 2-speed, today started a noise whenever I fully depressed the clutch while shifting gears. The sound was that of a starter being cranked while the engine is already running. Why is it doing this? I can avoid the sound if I shift before I fully depress the clutch. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
Art Cain

I meant to say 2 wheel drive, not 2 speed.

Reply to
Art Cain

Sounds like your clutch is going out. That's not a 'starter' sound, that's the sound of gears grinding, not good at all unless you want to buy a new transmission. You can feather the gas as you change gears and see if that helps, but you really should get that taken care of. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Only while pushed in all the way, or whenever it's pushed in? It might be a bad throwout bearing making noise when it's pressing on the clutch, which can be left alone till the next clutch job.

Or if it's driving you nuts do the clutch job early, since you have to take it all apart to get to the throwout bearing.

If you just /did/ the clutch and now it starts making noise, shoot your mechanic for not changing a $2 bearing while he had it all apart. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'd lean toward the TOB as well.