1986.5 VG30i Auto 2x Pickup Engine Noise Diagnosis Help

I obtained a 1986.5 Hardbody extcab SE pickup with the VG30i engine. Its externally a well cared for vehicle, but some potentially serious questions under the hood.

Right now we're looking for the source of a noise and I've received several opinions. It seems to me that a fairly recent vibration dampener change and a just now fan clutch change might have been done on the basis of misdiagnosing this noise.

The previous owner claims to have changed the timing belt at the required 60k intervals, but there is no documentation for this. So, we're going to have to do that.

The noise may be in there somewhere, but it is a variable noise that seems odd to me.

So, I thought I'd post a video clip of the noise and see if anyone has had similar experience and/or can offer useful suggestions.

If you are inclined, please visit:

and I'll be interested in any suggestions and all comments.

Thank you, Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle

It sounds to me like it's pulsating in time with the rotation of that front drive belt... could it be the bearings of that idler or water pump (?) pulley in front of the distributor, or something else driven by that belt?

Maybe take a screwdriver and hold it against each thing on that belt, then listen at the other end of the screwdriver and see if the noise is more obvious at any point...

Good luck,

Reply to
JM

try a spray lubricant into the idler pulley (top center). I seem to remember doing that to quell a noise, and the lube helped. I had the same truck as you now have and kept it for 13 reliable years.

Reply to
: P

Interesting way to report a problem. Good quality audio too! To eliminate externals (i.e. water pump, alternator, compressor) , remove one belt at a time and start the engine. If the noise stops, you've narrowed down the problem to whatever is no longer operating with the belt removed. If the noise persists with all belts off, then its an engine component. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Soiunds like a partially seized cam belt tensioner to me, drop off all accessory drive belts, run the motor for a short period and listen. If the noise is still present, R, R&R the timing belt / idlers and tensioner without further delay before you lunch the valves!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for all the sound advise (all pun intended) I'll be checking into this. Need to R&R the timing belt in any case. Good forum. Thanks. Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle

Tim got it right on the mark. I had the timing belt changed and water pump since we were there. the noise turned out to be the tensioner bearing.

Anywone know if one can date a timing belt by the number on it?

Thanks everyone for your kind attentio and help

Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle