1987 Nissan Cedric 3 litre V6

I have a problem on my son's Cedric that is driving me nuts. Please can anyone help?

The engine cut out while driving a couple of weeks ago but restarted OK. Since then it starts well but idles roughly for about a minute before cutting out again. It restarts immediately.

This weekend we changed the fuel filter and checked fuel supply - all OK. We then bought new plug leads, distributor cap and rotor arm and fitted them. The car will not even attempt to start now.

I connected a strobe light into the coil connection on the distributor cap and it flashes correctly but when connected into a plug lead it flashes only once or twice before remaining unlit.

There is a thin, low-tension wire to a spade connecter on the distributor body which I checked for continuity. This checks out OK.

Even with all the old parts refitted, the results are the same. The plugs are wet with petrol so the problem is definitely lack of spark at the distributor leads.

We are located in the UK where the Cedric (known as the 300C over here) is a rare beast. No maintenance manuals are available.

Any ideas? We are getting desperate!

Thanks,

Brian, Christchurch, Dorset, England

Reply to
Boanerges303

there are two things i can think of, one is the timing belt/chain has slipped or the ignition coil is going bad....just a thought

Reply to
Shawn