91 sentra 1.6L tachometer install

i am installing an aftermarket tach, and have followed the directions provided by the tach manufacturer, but so far have not gotten the tach to read over 1000rpms, and at idle the tach registers around

100rpms... which i know is not accurate. this is my troubleshooting so far: 1- double-checked the ground, ran new ground- no difference. 2- checked the switch on the back of the tach- made sure it was on 4 cylinder- which it was. 3- checked the power wire, getting +12v 4- the tachometer wire that gives the tach the signal for rpms was listed by the tach manufacturer: blue w/ black stripe located on ECU for the 91 sentra. when that location gave the readings described above, i checked the directions and found the black w/red stripe on the ignition coil that is listed for the 1990 sentra. hooking that wire up resulted in no reading from the tach. so that sums it up- anyone have any suggestions? thanks! robbie
Reply to
Robbie Wilson

this is a sunpro brand tach, and after fooling with it for a few hours, im tending to believe it may be defective. anyone else?

Reply to
Robbie Wilson

Ok, guys- this may only hold true for MY SPECIFIC 91 sentra, but if anyone is looking to hook up an aftermarket tach, the tach wire that worked for me was the green wire with a yellow stripe that goes to the ignition coil. why the manufacturer of the tach got it completely wrong i dont really know, but everything works great now. thought i would follow up with my own solution! -r

Reply to
Robbie Wilson