99 Altima can't pick 1st gear

Hi all,

I bought a 99 Altima a month ago, and it's had this problem on and off (more often than not) since I got it. First thing in the morning, after I back out of my driveway, I can't select 1st gear (it's a manual trans). It doesn't grind or anything, it just won't slot into 1st. I can take off in

2nd no problem, or if I let the clutch out and let it spin in neutral for a while, it'll sometimes let me into 1st with a little stiffness. But, once I get to the end of my street, which is about 3 or 4 car lengths, I can get it into 1st no problem, it slips right in very easily.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? I'm trying to remember to back in at night and see if I can pick 1st straight away without using reverse at all, with the theory that there's something that moves when I pick reverse that isn't releasing right away when it's time to shift into 1st.

I just changed the trans oil yesterday, and the old stuff was dark grey, so I think it was probably original (the car has 84,000 km). Maybe the problem will clear up after the new oil has a chance to circulate a bit?

Reply to
JM

Manual trans cars have sychrohubs aka synchronisers

The ones in the lowest gears wear mostly, first. Replacement of those cones/hubs requires a complete gearbox strip down and rebuild....ie heaps of money, that isn't really needed

Just learn to live with this minor annoyance.

With older cars, before selecting first gear, get used to putting it into

2nd gear first, (no need to let the clutch out,) then move the gearstick into first

The old English cars I grew up with had synchro on all gears except first, so that technique was normal driving practice, plus by the time the cars I got were 20 years old, the synchro in 2nd and 3rd was pretty well worn anyway

cheers

Reply to
Catherine Jemma

Well I remembered to back in last night, and had no trouble at all selecting first gear this morning. I rolled out onto the street, stopped, backed up a few feet, and then had trouble getting back into first. Shifting from reverse to neutral and back a few times allowed me to get back to first again.

Also, leaving work tonight, I worked the gearshift back and forth between reverse, neutral, and first a few times before starting, and then again after starting the car. After I backed out of my parking space, I also had no trouble getting into first.

So it would seem the problem is something not resetting after reverse has been used. I guess now that I know how get around it, it's not such a problem, as long as it doesn't get worse, but hopefully it'll clear up now with the new oil.

Reply to
JM