How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

Threaded View
How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?
Expert will say, probably, yes! Just insert the key, turn the transmission
on and push the car. I thought so until recently when starter was broken. In
my experience it worked OK with old cars (60-70th), but with automatic
transmission which I have on Nissan Sentra 1995 it does NOT work!
And I'm wondering why?
How know the secret of starting a car with automatic transmission, when a
starter does not work please advise!

Re: How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

I've never known this to work with an automatic transmission.  In fact,
you'll probably ruin the tranny if you try it too often.

Re: How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

I have seen reports that old 2 speed autos had a pump on the output
shaft too.  So you could start them by bumping.  Cost cutting meant
the spare pump had to go.

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

The 1964 Ford Comet 2 speed automatic (aka slip and slide) could be push
started.

Re: How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

In

You need to buy a hand cranker... and crank

Re: How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

I don't think it is possible as the pump is driven off the input shaft.
Without the engine side of the trans turning, no pressure will be
produced to lock the bands or clutch packs. As such, there will be no
connection from the halfshafts to the engine. Maybe you can stick an
impact wrench on the crank pulley or maybe you could just fix it!

Re: How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?

Why you replace the starter of course.

Re: How to start a car without starter. Is it possible to do?
no front pump to get pressure against the plates

Site Timeline