Nissan Sentra 2001 Catalytic Convertor

Hi,

I recently(3 months) bought a used 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L and since then I was using Super Unleaded fuel and recently changed back to regular unleaded(i filled my tank some 3 times) and now my Check Engine light is on since 10 days and i got it checked and they said the catalytic convertors(front & rear) needs replacement. well the replacement is costing a lot to me.

Does anybody have any idea that the switching of gas from Super Unleaded to Unleaded caused this?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Reply to
gobonkers_2000

How many miles? Was that a Nissan dealer that told you that? If not, I'd take it to one for a second opinion. It would be unusual unless you have a lot of miles on your '01.

Reply to
JimV

al

It has run approx 70,000 miles.

Thanx for the reply.

Reply to
gobonkers_2000

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:25:54 GMT, gobonkers_2000 graced this newsgroup with:

Federal emissions warranty requires the manufacturer to warranty the converter for 8 yrs 80.000 miles on 95 and newer, 5 years or 50,000 miles on 94 and older models.

Don't pay for the replacements. They have to replace them for free.

Here's the link to the EPA regulation:

max

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:54:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dontspam.me graced this newsgroup with:

oh and btw. No, the higher octane fuel didn't destroy your converters. No way, no how. *Leaded* gas would, but you're not using leaded fuel. The percent of octane had no effect on the function of the converters, much less on three tanks full anyway.

Reply to
max