replace starter in 93 pickup

I believe I've got a bum starter in my '93 Nissan pickup, and I'd like to take a crack at replacing or fixing it myself. Problem is, I can't find the darned thing (not a promising start, I'll admit.) The Haynes manual says the starter motor is "mounted at the lower right rear side of the engine", but it doesn't actually show where. I've looked from both the top and bottom of the car, and don't see it. Could somebody give me a hint?

Reply to
Liam Kelly

Just follow the heavy + battery cable.

Reply to
Jim

If its like my 96 kingcab, I got at the starter by removing my right front wheel. I could barely see it from the top of the engine, could not get at it from the top at all. Even with the wheel off and the car on stands, I had to use a dremil tool to cut a chunk of the inner wheel well out. (1/2 circle about 3-4" wide). I could then reach the starter with one hand. Very difficult to get at but I succeded in changing it and it solved my starting problem. After unbolting the starter I had to twist it down and out, again, very tight.

Good Luck

Steve

Reply to
Steve

i have a 95 4cyl pickup.. its a pain in the ass.. but you can do it..

my starter is on the right side of the motor it attaches to the transmisson.. just follow the big red postive wire..

you will need to undo the battery.. and take out the wheel well .. its not hard. it does have alot of screws.. the wheel well is the black plastic inside the fender.. this will make life alot easier.. you can take the starter out with out removing the wheel well. but its a bitch..

Reply to
WWE 4 Life