94 rough idle, sometimes stalls at deceleration

94 w/ 177K miles. Manual xmission. The idle is rough, acceleration sluggish. I took it on the freeway today and it ran fine at speed, as I came off the free way and slowed down (in neutral with minimal braking) it stalled. I hit the clutch, turned the ignition and it started right back up. It has also stalled when I've had to make a quick stop, or sometimes when I'm slowing down to turn into a parking space, but it;s always inconsistent. All these times, the xmission has been in neutral

I replaced the fuel filter, but now I'm thinking TPS (haven't checked it yet). The cap and rotor (aftermarket) are less than 2 yrs old and I've been hearing about problems with a.m. parts. Visual inspection of the cap shows some buildup on a couple of terminals, but I don't think it's significant.

Any ideas as to what can cause rough idling and also shut the engine down at decel? 1) the fuel controls are being tricked into thinking that they need to cut back, and therefore cut off too much fuel at deceleration, or 2) something in the rough idle overcompensates at decel and is unable to self-correct in a timely manner.

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Byram Lass

Check the EGR crankcase vent, the valve gets old and sticks and the engine can't breathe as well and the air has to go somewhere. Not sure if the computer will show a code for that.

Clean the contacts on all cap terminals, the corrosiion will affect performance

When was the last tune up

-- Nissan4ME

View this thread:

Send from

Nissan4ME

it's worse. I checked the plugs. #3 was covered in oil. To repair or to buy? That is the question.

Reply to
Byram Lass
94 w/ 177K miles. Manual xmission. The idle is rough, acceleratio

sluggish. I took it on the freeway today and it ran fine at speed, as came off the free way and slowed down (in neutral with minimal braking) i stalled. I hit the clutch, turned the ignition and it started right bac up. It has also stalled when I've had to make a quick stop, or sometime when I'm slowing down to turn into a parking space, but it;s alway inconsistent. All these times, the xmission has been in neutra

I replaced the fuel filter, but now I'm thinking TPS (haven't checked i

yet). The cap and rotor (aftermarket) are less than 2 yrs old and I've bee hearing about problems with a.m. parts. Visual inspection of the cap show some buildup on a couple of terminals, but I don't think it's significant

Any ideas as to what can cause rough idling and also shut the engine down a

decel? 1) the fuel controls are being tricked into thinking that they nee to cut back, and therefore cut off too much fuel at deceleration, or 2 something in the rough idle overcompensates at decel and is unable t self-correct in a timely manner

Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@ev1.ne Being a 94 when was the last tune-up done? i would look at replacing the

-fuel filte

-plugs & wire

-cap & roter

-clean the throttle body (this could be your problem)

-if that dont cure it get it scanned for fault code

even if your check engine light is not on

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin