Altima remote trunk opener problem

Hi all

My Altima has very recently developed a problem where I cannot open the trunk remotely anymore (from the remote or from within the cabin).

When the trunk is open and I press the trunk open button, the release lever does move. When it is closed, nothing happens (I hear a slight buzz but trunk remains closed).

It is opened by means of a assembly that contains a motor and gears. Opening this assembly up, everything looks fine. No stripped gears or anything. I re-lubed it and put it back together. It still does not work.

It almost seems like the pulse that normally drives this is too short (is it perhaps driven by a capacitor that's leaking or something?). Looking at this signal on a scope it is not a nice square signal - it goes to 12V but very quickly droops to 0 volt.

When I momentarily apply 12 V to the motor from a external source, the trunk opens fine.

Has anyone out there seen this before? Where is the drive unit located for this motor?

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
remcow

My first thought is that when its closed, there is a bind or misalignment that is more than the solonoid can overcome.

What year is the Altima, do you have a FSM for it?

Put downward pressure on trunk lid and have someone operate cabin release, remove pressure when you feel it activate. Alternatly put upward pressure on it and try the same thing. Lubricate all pivot points on hinges and torsion bar.

The circuit might have too much resistance, if you can trace the circuit with the help of a circuit diagram you can disconnect each connection and clean and apply dialectic grease and replug.

Reply to
Papa Ray

read the owners manual, it will tell you how to enable/disable the remote trunk release feature

Reply to
NissTech

It is a 2000 -- I don't have the service manual. Just a third party manual, which really doesn't show ver much in the way of schematics -- certainly not the trunk solenoid detail.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I've tried fiddling with the trunk but to no avail. I also libricated all moving parts also.

When I put my finger on the actuator coming from the solenoid (actually a motor with gears inside, btw), I feel a decent amount of pressure only when it first actuates. If I actuate twice (one after the other) the solenoid hardly moves.

I'll try to trace the wire back where it came from. Hard to do, because it immediately goes behind a panel.

Thanks again. Remco

Reply to
remcow

Thanks but the solenoid (motor, whatever it is) is moving when I try to open the trunk so it is enabled.

Remco

Reply to
remcow

the solenoid is live all the time, you need to make sure the valet lever is in the correct position on the trunk latch

Reply to
NissTech

Appreciate the suggestion.

I think the valet lever is in the correct position because, when I hook independent wires to the solenoid and make them go to a motorcycle battery, the trunk opens fine (of couse I just momentarily pulse the unit - don't want to burn it out).

So the basic mechanism works - it just seems like whatever is driving this solenoid lacks the capacity to move it properly.

Reply to
remcow