1991 SOHC Timing Belt

Did the subject engine (in the GXE Maxima) have a timing chain or timing belt? If belt, what was the recommended replacement interval?

Looking to buy, need to know what I am getting into. Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

The 89 thru 91 GXE's and SE's both had the SOHC engines and require timing belt replacement at 60k miles. They have the square toothed timing belts. The 92 thru 94 GXE's also have the SOHC engine but require timing belt replacement at 100k miles. They have the rounded tooth belts. The 92 thru

94 SE's have the DOHC engines with chains and need no regular replacement, but have camshaft sprocket issues of their own. When replacing the timing belts on any 3rd gen Max, the tensioner spring and pulley should also be replaced. Timing belt replacement is about a 4 - 6 hour job if you're doing yourself. Not very difficult. Also replace the water pump, t-stat, coolant temp sensor, all belts and hoses while you're in that neighborhood. Check the power steering pump pressure hose at top and bottom for slight leaks.

Good luck. You'll get lot's of help (and/or opinions) from this newsgroup if you decide to buy the car!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Thanks Chris for all the good information! This 91 GXE was driven in a rural area by a lady for only 66K original miles. So the timing belt is something that I would have to deal with ASAP but knowing ahead of time I can plan to deal with it. Car was a trade in to a Subaru dealership and they are asking a starting price of $5,995 for it. Pricey, but the mileage IS low.

Engine also had a ticking valve that is holding me back... salesmen blamed it on the car sitting around (cold oil not getting to top of cylinder head), but ticking did not stop once it warmed up. I appreciate the the advice, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Pricey indeed. If it was me I would keep looking. I am very leery of dealership used vehicles. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto ($6500 last fall) 89 SE Auto traded

original

cylinder head),

require timing

replacement,