95 Max. Cruise Control not working

I have a 1995 Maxima & the cruise control is not working, I can turn the switch on the dash board & it lights up but when I try to set the button on the steering wheel it wont set the speed or light up the cruise light by the speedometer. Anyone have any ideas how to fix?

Reply to
lock

It could be one a number of things. The service manual is written assuming you have a Nissan Consult system to diagnose it. A couple of things you can check though:

- Cut-off switch on the brake pedal could be bad or dislodged.

- do all three buttons on the steering wheel move? - it won't work of one of them is stuck.

Reply to
E Meyer

Also could be a bad controller module ($$$$) or bad switches in the steering wheel ($$)

Chris

90, 94 GXE 06 SE

Reply to
Chris H

When I bought a 93 Maxima, it had a broken cruise control.

95 has similar wiring to the 93. I am looking at the 95 wiring diagram.

There are 2 switches operated by the brake pedal, one is a stop lamp switch, the other is the ASCD Cancel switch.

Check the continuity across the ASCD Cancel switch terminals (the one with these 2 colored wires: GRN/RED & GRN/BLK).

The switch is normally CLOSED (that is, when the brake pedal is NOT depressed). When you step on the pedal the switch opens.

This switch normally passes 12V to the Cruise Cancel terminal on the ASCD Control Module. When the brake pedal is depressed, this 12V is interrupted and causes the Cruise to disengage (if it was engaged). If the switch is bad (i.e. open all the time), the Cruise will never engage.

If the switch reads open, you can restore system operation by shorting out the terminals on the connector. This basically takes the switch out of the system. This is the problem I had and this fix works.

I believe the switch is used as a fail-safe switch. In other words, it is a backup to the stop lamp switch. Either switch will disengage the system. But if the stop lamp switch failed, it would not disengage the system. Thus, they put in another switch (the ASCD cancel) which, if it failed, it fails open, not closed, and thus disengages the system.

I think Nissan wanted to be sure that when the brake pedal is depressed, the system would disengage because of the absence of voltage, not the presence of voltage.

Anyway, jumpering this switch corrected my problem. I am not going to bother to replace the switch, because there are 4 other ways to disengage the cruise:

1) Put transmission in neutral 2) Hit cancel button (on my steering wheel) 3) Step on the brake pedal (assuming the stop lamp switch still works) 4) Turn off Cruise Control using dashboard switch

I can live without a 5th way.

Good Luck

Mark

Reply to
Mark Cahill

I had to replace my gage package, the signal for the cruise is routed back thru the gages, and I could not believe it at first, thank goodness I had an extra gage package...if U buy a package off ebay make sure that the reason it is not being sold is because it causes cruise problems!!

Reply to
Bitsbucket