95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Threaded View

I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima GXE with starting problems.  For the past
1.5 years it has had trouble starting.  Within the past few months it
has gotten increasingly worse.  What happens is this:  As it turns
over, the engine will have episodes of slight ignition without fully
starting.  I'll wait a few seconds and try again without success.  Than
on the fourth or fifth try it will start but really struggles to get
going during the first 1 or 2 seconds.  When finely running, it runs
great.  Here's what I've done so far to fix it without success:

 - Replaced both upper and lower crank sensors. (no success)
 - Rebuilt starter. (Helped turn over but no success on starting.)
- Replaced Spark Plugs. (No success)
- Cleaned Air Filter (No success)
 - Checked Fuel Pressure (OK)
- Checked Fuel Injectors (OK)

The check engine light is not on but was on about two years ago for a
6mon. period and than went off on it's own. This was shortly before the
starting problem begin.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just bring it to the
dealership?

Thanks,
Nick

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

I wonder if the MAF needs cleaning?

--

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Try cleaning all the engine ground connections, mainly the thick wire
that comes from the battery negative, make  sure that the bracket it
attaches too is also grounded to the engine well.  The fact that it runs
rough after starting could indicate partial flooding because of lack of
spark.

If you are brave, look at the quality of the spark while cranking the
engine.

Please post when  you find the real cause of the problem

Good luck,

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Thanks for the advice.  I checked the Ground and it looks ok.  I also
just pulled a plug and watched the spark.  To my surprise, the spark
looks great.   I'm out of ideas...  I'm thinking I'll pay the big bucks
and drop it off at the dealership for diagnosis.  I'll be sure to post
the problem once I find it.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Have you replaced the fuel filter lately?

It is possible to check your own engine codes using the procedure here -
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html Even though you got good spark, it could be a
coil since there are one for each plug on this engine.

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Well, from the service manual:
- Check fuel pressure
- Check fuel vapor (by disconnecting the vacuum hose to the fuel
pressure regulator) and see if it starts.
- Check injectors (i doubt all of them will be clogged at the same time
though) by removing camshaft sensor and spinning it while listening to
the injectors.
- Check ignition spark
- Check ECM harness connector
- Check ECM power and ground circuits
- Try a known ECM

Good luck

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Found two more possible causes:
EGR valve sticking
Leaky injectors, If you depress de accelerator fully, does the car start?

I will keep looking

Good luck

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Thank you all for your replies.  I just picked it up from the dealer
today after having them diagnose the problem and this is what they
found...

Computer Error Codes:
- Crank Sensor Replacement (This was replaced a few days ago so I don't

  know why it is showing up, maybe the replacemetn tirgered an alarm)
- Knock Sensor Replacement (I think this could be it.)
- EGR System Clean Needed.
- Rear O2 Sensor Replacement

Looking at this any other ideas?  Also, how hard is the Knock Sensor to
replace along with the others?

I'm not giving up yet, I can't afford to.  Thanks for your replies I'll
continue to investigate all ideas offered and keep you posted.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

There are 2 crank angle sensors in your Maxima.  A REFerence sensor and
a POSition sensor.  Once is located on the transmission bell housing
and one is right under the crankshaft pulley.  Which one did you
replace? Which one did the dealer recommend replacing?

Knock sensor will not cause hard starts - replacement guides recommend
removal of the intake manifold as part of trying to access the sensor,
but it can be down with a u-joint and long extension on a rachet -
small hands are beneficial for this repair.  Note however that the KS
code is often reported along with other faults, and so I would not
recommend replacing the KS until it is the ONLY code reported by the
ECU.

EGR system cleaning requires removal of the upper intake manifold and
often also the EGR guide tube.  This is not trivial, but also not out
of reach for a DIY'er.

Rear O2 sensor will not cause hard starts either - but should be
replaced.

If your CEL is set, what were the exact codes that were retrieved from
the ECU?

Nirav

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

Nevermind - I see that you replaced both Crank angle sensors.  Did you
reset the ECU after performing all those repairs?

Also, which plugs did you use when you replaced yours?

Nirav

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

The Crank Sensors were done by a friend.  I'm not sure if he reset the
ECU... This is the Electronic Contorl Unit I'm assuming which times and
controls injection, idle speed, ignition timing, etc.?  How woulld I
reset this unit?

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

How to get the code:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

What the code means:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

You need to reset the ECU after replacing any parts that were detected
as faulty.  It will eventually detect the replaced part is operating
per spec, but that takes a certain number of complete start/stop
cycles.

Nirav

Re: 95 Nissan Maxima Starting Problem

I just noticed that one of the codes was for an EGR Clean... That goes
along with your suggestion.  How hard is it to clean the EGR Valve?

Site Timeline