95 Maxima problem

On the way home.....battery line and brake light came on. Shut off.....did start. Manage to get home, and car did start again. Battery light and brake light still on.

Almost appears to be altenator or battery issue. Just had new belt and tensioner installed, and brand new battery. Removed both terminals from battery, and car would start....therefore not altenator.

What do you think?

95 maxima SE standard Check fused inside car....suggestions?
Reply to
Aubrey

Alternator most likely, despite your test.

Reply to
JimV

How did you start the car with the battery disconnected (Removed both terminals from battery)? The fuel pump and ignition system require an electric power source (not to mention the ECU).

Suspect a fail>> On the way home.....battery line and brake light came on.

Reply to
Gary

Sorry Gary, let me rephrase. I had the car started, then removed both terminals from battery, and car stay running, which normally indicates a GOOD alternator.

What is your opinion?

The car will be visited a alternator shop tomorrow?

I should also not, I drive the car today, lights remain on, car ran fine.

Reply to
Aubrey

That's a VERY bad idea on a modern car full of electronics. You should not ever test that way again. It also doesn't mean the alternator is putting out the right voltage. Find someone with a volt meter. Turn the headlights on and measure across the battery at idle and at 2000 RPM. It should stay between 13.2 and 14.8.

Reply to
JimV

Odds are the alternator output is low, or you're missing a phase. This can cause the battery to look bad (does not seem to hold a charge). As long as the battery is in there, the biggest problem is it may run down and your car may not start...

Reply to
Gary

I will post the verdict tomorrow after I return from the Alternator repair shop.

Reply to
Aubrey

Had alternator checked to one location......13.8 V....said it was good.

Went to another location.........13.8V....then with his tester he began to drain the alternator (as if wipers, a/c, lights were on) then it dropped to

11V. He confidently said the alternator needed repair.

It is now in the shop.

Reply to
Aubrey

Not sure if this pertains to your yr maxima, but you might want to check. I have a 97 Max and there was a re-call on the alternator. Nissan replaced it at no charge. Just a thought....

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

Reply to