96 odometer died

The odometer died on my 96 maxima. Neither the trip or the regular odometer work, but the speedometer and everything else are fine. I have owned the car since it was new, so there is no chance of foul play. Is there a fix for this? Maybe a secret recall or something? I hate to think of the $$$ it will cost to have the dealer fix it...

Reply to
stevo

There is that phrase again you y'all know the one

"secret recall"

First thing, There is NO SUCH THING as a secret recall.

The fix is to have the speedometer head replaced ASAP. it is like anything else, things mechanical fail, it is a fact of life, nothing lasts forever

don't wait to get it fixed ,otherwise the car falls into a category called TMU (true mileage unknown) , you do not want this to happen.It devalues your car.speedometer heads are available at the dealership and can be set to the exact mileage on your odometer now.

Reply to
NissTech

There are many speedo shops around the country that can fix and recalibrate your speedo for a fraction of what the dealer will charge you for a new one (assuming you can remove it yourself). Just get it done before your next inspection if you live in a state where they check.

NissTech wrote:

Reply to
Jim

No such thing as a secret recall, but a hell of a lot of accomodations being made in a systematic manner if you know to ask.

JM

Reply to
JM