Service Engine Soon light is on in my '98 Maxima SE

I have a 98 Maxima SE, 87000 kilometers or so on it. recently, my SERVICE ENGINE SOON check light came on (the orange one on the right side of the instrument cluster) . No perceptable change in the running of the car. Took it to my mechanic and he scanned it. Came up with a code of 1706. But he can find no reference to it. In his code book, he had codes 1704, 1705, 1707, 1708 .... 1750. All to do with Automatic transmissions. I have a standard. He also phoned two other places to see if they had seen this code before. Nobody he talked to had seen it.

Anyway, he reset the code and it has stayed out. He recommends taking it to a Nissan dealer if it happens again.

Anybody out there had a similar experience or do you know what the code might mean?

Thanks

Gord Pope snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
gpope