Service Engine Soon Light 1999 Maxima

I took my 1999 Nissan Maxima into a dealer yesterday because the "Service Engine Soon" light came on a few days ago.

When I called to make an appointment the service rep said it was probably something to do with the emission system. This information coincided with what the owner's manual said.

However after dropping the car off in the morning he called me later during the day stating the light was coming on because the ignition coils were failing. The parts themselves were free under a "Goodwill Parts" policy Nissan has. However the labor to replace them was $360. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I authorized the replacement.

When I went over the total repair bill there was no mention of any emission control part being fixed. However admittedly the "Service Engine Light" is not on anymore.

According to the work order, 3 parts numbered 22448-31U01 "Coil Assy-Ignit" and 3 parts numbered 22448-31U06 were replaced.

I am starting now to wonder about this "Goodwill" policy Nissan has and what those ignition coils had to do with the light.

Any one have any opinions?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Wardell Castles

I wouldn't complain. The coils themselves cost about $400 list (although you can get them as cheap as $240 from a couple of sources (see the maxima.org forums). You probably got charged the standard $85 diagnostic fee plus book labor. A lot of people are getting charged $700+ for coils + labor even though your average DIY'er can replace all six in under an hour. :-/

Reply to
Dan

I was given a "goodwill" replacement of the coils a few months ago on my '99 Maxima at a bit over 50,000 miles. I was quoted $700+ and after talking with the service writer and making it clear that I knew it was a known problem with the vehicle he said he'd see what he could do. Called me later and said that Nissan agreed to a no charge replacement and they'd have the coils in the next day so make an appointment.

Maybe he felt sorry for me since I've had both my wife's '95 Altima and my '99 Maxima serviced there and there were quite a few repairs on the Altima (low miles less than 40K) lately.

S> Jim wrote:

-- Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to post directly.

Reply to
Don't Reply to this address