Squeaking front end on 96 maxima

My 96 Maxima has been a great car for 150,000 miles. At around 120K a squeaking, creaking noise began coming from somewhere in the front end suspension at low speeds, expecially turning the front wheels, going from reverse to forward, and over dips where the car becomes unlevel. It sounds like hard rubber against metal and is most noticeable from inside the car. It is getting progressively worse. I took it to a local mechanic, who replaced the front CV joints. This didn't fix the sound. He then put some kind of lubricant on the bushings somewhere in the front end and it reduced the noise for about 3 weeks, but it returned. He said that it would take dealer parts and about $800 to repair the problem. Otherwise this car is great. Looking for any ideas. I don't want to put that kind of money into car that is only worth about $4500. Anyone else had this problem? I don't want to replace anything else without knowing for certain what it is. HELP! it is driving my wife crazy and it is going to cost me a new car if I can't find it!

Reply to
WacoTexas via CarKB.com

It's probably the sway bar frame bushings. A shot of silicone will shut them up for a while. They are

Reply to
JimV

if this noise happens mostly while turning it is most likely the front strut Teflon bearings the isolate the upper strut insulator from the upper spring seat.

somewhat of a common problem on early A32 series Maximas but is easily fixed at a moderate cost.

Reply to
NissTech

Reply to
BeeP

Some say you can clean and lube the Teflon bearings but I to replace them with new, the bearings are around twenty bucks each and you will need 2.

While the strut is out and apart you will need to pay attention to the condition of the upper strut spring seat and the insulator.

as a rule I always install new insulators.

Reply to
NissTech