Steering Rack Sliding Force

My 97SE 5spd has had a steadily declining road feel over the last 40k (at 119k now) - the wheel moves and/or the car changes direction with zero resistance at all. Tires, alignments, rack components, joints have all been inspected repeatedly and are sound. Reading through the FSM at the steering rack servicing, it appears there is a specified amount of sliding force and tension bolts to adjust for the recommended values. I strongly suspect my rack moves with below spec force, and this is causing too much feedback through the wheel that results in rack movement. The wearing nature of the components and the increasing severity of the issue support that.

Anyone ever had their rack readjusted? Were the symptoms like mine, and did it make a difference?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman