Two 96 Problems...

Either drive to your local autozone and have them retrieve the stored codes (for free in most areas), or follow these instructions and report back:

ECU fault code diagnosis

How to get the code:

What the code means:

njmodi

I just replaced the starter on a 96 3.0 automatic and had the battery disconnected overnight. After finishing up, I noticed 2 things that weren't present before the repair. The check engine light is on now and when it shifts into 2nd, it hits real hard like it has a shift kit in the transmission. It only does it when going into 2nd. The only things disconnected were the emission connectors going to the air box, in order to remove everything in front of the throttle body, to be able to get a clear shot at the starter. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

Reply to
JW

On the driver's side inner fender there is a resistor with an aluminim heat sink and a two wire connector. This modulates the trans lines pressure and will cause the problem you describe if disconnected or defective. It should measure 12 ohms +- 1. Maybe you hit it working on the starter.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

'All' starts from voltage check: low voltage causes problems as sensor signals too low, actuators are 'starved', complicators get light headed... see also

TCU trans ctrl unit follows TPS sensor input. If that is bad, rough change. Also check its connector; see page6.

Reply to
Wiikinki

I second this notion. It didn't occur to me right away (after reading your post), but it is likely the problem. If you pull the codes stored in the ECU (since the CEL/SES is on), you'll likely be able to confirm JimV's hunch.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 128k
Reply to
njmodi