Odometer Malfunction

The odometer in my 1996 Nissan Maxima has stopped working. This also includes the trip odometer. Neither are a digital display. What can be the cause of this? Possibly a fuse?

Reply to
kpannell

If the speedometer itself still works it's probably the step motor in the speedometer (it increments the miles). I think you can replace this part by itself (not positive though) or get a used/rebuild speedo.

Reply to
JimV

how bout this one.. I have a similar problem.. only my odometer works only when the car is cold.. the colder it is outside the longer it lasts.. but for the most part when the car is at normal op temp the odometer dies. I pulled the cluster a few times trying to figure this out even hitting every solder connection on the back of the cluster with an iron thinking it was a cold solder joint. anyway the Speedo has always worked even when the odometer stops.

bugman

... Possibly a fuse? Not a fuse as everythin else works. Maybe odo unit in the speedo assy just dry/dirty/jammed. I'd take electronics cleaner spray an soakit. Later after drying lubricate mechanisms: thin lubricant, microscopic amount, ONLY the problem spot...

If youre familiar with clock repair, it can be taken into pieces an be cleaned. U loose 'nothin' with a try.

Reply to
Wiikinki