Will Stop Leak work?

I have a power steering leak, coming from the rack. I want to try a stop leak product (from gold eagle) which says it can be used in all powersteering units and compatible with all power steering fluids. However My 98 Maxima uses ATF not regular power steering fluid, so I'm not sure it really is compatible. Anyone know is adding the stop leak would hurt anything?

Reply to
Will T

ronm

Power steering fluid and ATF are pretty much the same thing. ATF usually just has a little "stop leak-type" additive in it already. I wouldn't worry about compatibility problems. Bigger question is whether the stop leak will be good for your pump, even if it fixes the rack. The additive works by swelling up the seals. It has to swell them enough to stop a 1,400 psi leak. Will it swell up something in a perfectly good pump that will not like it? That's the question.

If your rack needs replacing, then it may be a worthwhile gamble. Worst case scenario is that your entire steering system will be damaged, rather than only one expensive component being bad.

I've never faced this problem myself, but before I used this product, I would get prices on this first and judge the relative costs that could occur.

Then, if I decided to use it, I'd add a little at a time over a period of days or weeks, rather than dump in a high concentration of the stuff. JM

Reply to
JM

Thanks for the info, it says it won't hurt any power steering components, but you unless consumer reports does a test or something you never know for sure.

I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Reply to
Will T